Painting For My Grandpa #3

"Henrietta!" My grandpa exclaimed as loud as he could, immediately coughing after he did so.

I groaned. He literally just called me Aspen and then decided that I'm Henrietta.

Who is Henrietta in the first place?

"Aspen." I corrected and shook his hand politely.

"Hi Grandpa." I then repeated.

"What a peculiar name." He then commented in reply.

"Well it's your fourth granddaughter's name." I bit back without thinking.

My grandma gave me a look, asking me to correct myself.

"I-I mean um yes. My name is a tree... Name." I stuttered, glancing quickly at Grandma as I did so.

Grandma looked satisfied and walked into the kitchen. A snoring noise then resounded from my left.

I looked over and it was Grandpa.

He fell asleep.

"Why the little-" I muttered.

"Aspen! Help me cook dinner won't you? Your friends are going to unpack their and your things and settle into their rooms." Grandma called out from the kitchen as she tied on her red and white checkered apron.

Wait what? I'm a guest too I deserve some relaxation after a long drive as well!

"You're my family aren't you? Families prepare for guests. It's supposed to be common knowledge and instinct." Grandma pointed a wooden spoon towards me, then reaching out to get something from the side of the counter.

I sighed and folded my arms and took a step towards the kitchen.

As I did so, my vision then became dark as something soft hit me in the face.

I groaned inwardly and peeled the blue checkered apron off my face and began to tie it around my waist as I continue to proceed into the the kitchen.

Keep it together Aspen. Just. Breathe.

§§§

The only sound that was keeping the table away from complete silence was the clanging of our cutlery and the occasional loud chewing of Grandpa.

I pushed my carrots around as I looked at the food, my fingers unwilling to put at least a bite into my mouth.

I don't want to be here.

"So Aspen! How's that gallery business going? Good I'm guessing?" Grandma projected loudly, clasping her hands together as she looked at me with her eyes wide open with anticipation.

"It's fine." I replied, not looking up from my plate.

Grandma's previous excitement deflated slightly and she spooned some of the mushroom soup into her mouth.

"What about you Riff dear? I haven't seen you in the longest time!" Grandma decided to move her attention towards my unaware boyfriend who was busy stuffing his face with the roasted chicken.

Okay I have to admit it IS ALWAYS good but not right now.

"I'm currently writing a script for a new movie I have in mind. I'm aiming for it to be a critical success but a commercial success would be good too," Riff replied after finally swallowing the chicken he stuffed into his mouth.

"That sounds wonderful! I'm sure you'll be able to get more popular if this movie is good! Why don't we take a look at the script so far after dinner? I would be more than happy to help you!" Grandma clapped her hands excitedly, bouncing slightly.