Painting For My Grandpa: Epilogue

We only had to make a few changes.

Chris was thankfully willing to change the location for the event from New York to her gallery in London. "Of course we can change the location, no biggie. Don't worry I'm a flexible one," she had said before winking.

I question how I ever landed a partnership with someone as awesome as Chris.

And now here we were at the doors of the gallery, 3 minutes before the exhibit begins.

"Thank you again for changing the location of the exhibit. It really means a lot to me," I beamed at Chris as I adjusted my bracelet. 

"No worries Aspen. It really wasn't any trouble. Besides we could always do a second exhibition according to the original plans," she winked, pulling me along by the elbow with her as she walked to the door.

There was already a crowd outside of the closed doors, a few camera flashes shining through the frosted glass panes. I gripped the right handle as Chris held the other. 

"I'm nervous," I admitted shyly. 

"You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that. I thought I was being an old party pooper or something gross like that," Chris giggled. "It's our big night! We worked hard for this so let's enjoy it. And... I really hope we could continue this partnership for a much longer time. I really enjoy working with you." She ended with a smile. 

"I love working with you too. You're an absolute inspiration!" I gave her the most sincere smile after saying so. This lady has been the most understanding, friendly, warm and talented lady I've ever met and she really is the most amazing one I've ever met.

"Aw you're too sweet Aspen. You're a very innovative girl, always bursting with eurekas!"

We both giggled a little at that. I glanced at my watch and realised it's time. 

Chris noticed and nodded at me. I nodded back. 

"To more of the artist duo that is us!" Chris cheered. 

"To the gallery!" I simpered. 

"And to your Grandpa," Chris added, sending the final reassuring smile of the moment. 

My nerves were tingling and my heart thumped in my ears but I was ready. 

As ready as I'll ever be. 

And the doors opened.  

§§§

There were a lot more people than expected. People of all ages were bustling in the gallery, viewing the art and munching on the sweets Grandma had made for the event.

"Going pretty smoothly," Chris nodded with satisfaction before patting my shoulder.

"Why don't you interact with them? I've got my eye on that little adorable girl. She looks so enthusiastic with my light work," she laughed before walking to the girl. 

I decided to follow her advice and walked to an middle-aged couple who were viewing one of my paintings. 

"Oh this painting is amazing! I love the colours and highlights and shadows and everything about it! It's like as if I can feel the emotion of the painter in the painting," the lady beamed with happiness and she hugged her husband excitedly. 

"You look like as if you've gotten another lion cub for our girl," the man chuckled. 

Another?

"Where is that daughter of ours anyway?" she turned to question.

"Ah she'll come don't you worry," the husband smiled, "she would never miss an opportunity to see Aspen Williams."