Painting For My Grandpa #11

I knocked on the door gently before calling out as quietly as possible.

"Grandpa it's me Aspen. I've got something for you."

"If it's breakfast , I don't want it. I'm not hungry," a grumpy and raspy voice replied.

Have I ever mentioned Grandpa was very 'bipolar' or in other words, moody?

Because so far I know you've seen his good side. Trust me so have I.

But recently ever since the second, yes second, checkup, he's been getting awfully grumpy more often.

And he's having another checkup later today which explains his more frequently bad mood today.

And it only made me more nervous about showing him the painting I've completed for him. I can only hope that it would cheer him up.

"Um it's not breakfast Grandpa." I said quietly.

There was a moment of silence behind the door, like as if Grandpa had stopped breathing. The thought of that made me feel antsy so I called out once again.

"G-grandpa?"

"Come in." The soft reply came.

I opened the door, clutching the painting tightly in my hand as I held it behind my back.

"I've made something for you," I smiled cheerfully.

Grandpa didn't seem very amused but his eyes held a curious gaze and he placed a finger under his chin, lacing his other arm with his elbow.

"Well what is it?" He asked curtly, his tone still not brightening in the slightest.

My heart sank a little by the discouragement he was giving me but I forced myself to press on.

Just do it.

I heaved a sigh and held the painting infront of me.

I squeezed my eyes shut. Memories from the past were surfacing.

There were many times when I tried to cheer Grandpa during his moods where he would push me away or snap at me and I would run into my room to cry. I never understood why he was like that and the confusion from my childhood was coming back with a hint of nostalgia.

I heard a sharp intake of breath and peeked through the cracks of my eyelids.

Grandpa's eyes were glistening with tears.

"It's... It's beautiful."

"R...really?" I stuttered, not believing any of the two words that came out of Grandpa's mouth.

His expression only held awe and amazement

A single tear ran down his left cheek which he was trying to hide but the amount of emotions overcoming him were too much for him to handle.