Chapter 10

We sat down on the couch watching some TV show. I'm not quite sure what it was but Maddie seemed pretty interested in it.
The sunlight outside was starting to gloom. The sky had beautiful shades of oranges, blues, and purples. I checked my time on my phone and I decided it was time for me to head home.
"Hey, I gotta go," I say as I stood up.
"Okay. If you ever need to talk, I'm always here, baby."
My smile didn't hold much emotion as I kissed her and left.

I unlocked the front door to my house and walked inside. I was welcomed with the smell of my mothers cooking.
"Hey, baby girl. Where have you been?" Asked my mum while stirring up what looked like mashed potatoes.
"Oh, I just stayed after school for some tutoring."
"School going well?"
I pulled out a chair from the kitchen table and took a rest, "It's alright."
"Alright enough to get suspended?" She cocked her green eyes at me.
My face was blank, how'd she? Oh, of course the school calls your parent and tells them everything. Great.
We starred at each other. I quickly got up from the seat and speed walked to my room.
"Alexandria Emma Bradford!" She called out to me, yet I continued to walk. 
I closed my bedroom door and locked it. My mum always gave me long lectures when stuff like this happened. I was too stressed. On the bright side, I had a pack of cigarettes in my drawer. I grabbed them and tried to make it to the front door unnoticed.
My mum and dad talked in the kitchen, so far so good. I rolled my feet to keep the sound of my boots from echoing on the floor. As I sat my right foot down my ankle popped.
"Alex," said my dad, "come here."
Damn, I was so close. I huffed and rolled my eyes, walking to where they were sitting.
"Dad, it was an accident," I say.
"By what I heard-"
"Oh, I have to go. Partner found another clue to our case," my mum said as she quickly rushed out the door, giving my dad a goodbye kiss.
"Well, your mum was suppose to help me with this, but I guess not anymore. Count this as a warning, Alexandria."
My dad doesn't really care what I do. He's the type of dad that allows you to do whatever to a point. Now if I killed the kid, I would've been in a hell load of trouble, but considering I just beat him up, I got out a lot easier.
"I'm going out for a walk," I said checking to see if the pack of cigarettes was still in my pocket with my hand. My parents don't know I smoke.
"Okay, be back before dinner."
"Okay," I said while closing the door behind me.
I walked down the road some before pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. I leaned up against an old oak tree and enjoyed the sound of the crickets chirping. My phone in my pocket started to buzz. I pulled it out and saw that Madison was calling.
"Hey," I answered blowing out the smoke in my lungs.
"Alex-"
Wait. Was she crying?
"Maddie, are...are you crying?"
"I'm so sorry, Alex," I could hear her voice crack when she said my name.
"What's wrong?" I asked. The only response I got was her crying.
"Maddie, talk to me."
"I fucked up!"
I was silent for a minute, "I'm coming over."
What could she have done in two hours? She seemed perfectly fine when I left. I jogged back home and texted my dad that I'm going to a friends house to work on a school project.
I slammed my car door closed as I sped to her house.

I opened Madison's front door and walked inside. It was silent.
"Madison!" I screamed out. No response.
I rushed through each room in the house calling out her name. There was no sign of her or a response.
Finally I reached the bathroom, I grabbed the doorknob and turned it, but it refused.
I tried again and it still didn't open. I took several steps back and charged; while busting the door in. My eyes started to fill with tears from the sight that I saw.
"Madison, look at me."
Madison, with tears flowing down her face, hugged me and cried on my shoulder.
"Shh, it's okay. It's okay..." I ran my fingers in her hair to calm her down.
"I'm sorry," she repeated over and over.
I pushed her off me to get a good look at what she had done.
"We need to get this cleaned up, okay baby girl?"
I helped her to her feet and walked her to the sink. I turned on the water, grabbed a rag, and began to clean up what she had done. She flinched when the water hit the wound, but I continued to clean it.
"It can get infected," I said as she tried to get me to stop.
"I don't care, let it be."
"Well I care! Have you thought of that?" I raised my voice as a tear escaped my eye.

After I cleaned her, we laid in her bed. My arm wrapped around her as her head laid on my chest. Her fingers played with the hem of my shirt, as mine played with her hair.
"Why'd you do it?" I asked, starring at the ceiling.
She took a breath, "I have depression. Badly. My thoughts have been everywhere and it's not getting better."
"I'm always here for you, baby. You know that." I kissed the top of her head.
"You should get home, Alex. You have school, and let's not forget detention." She said with her hand rubbing my stomach.
"I have school? You do as well," I smiled.
"Oh, I'm also will be doing your detention. Surprise," she looked up at me and smiled.
Now I know, for sure, this is going to be the best week of detention.