Chapter Two: Into the Water

After American Literature, I hurried over to the front doors of the gym to meet Kayla there so we could catch up on what we all did for first period. On the way, I bumped into someone I would least likely want to talk to.

"Elias! Nice to see you!" Amaya's voice carried out through the hall. Seriously, I want to ask him if he could hang out with me after school.

Amaya... don't even think about it. I said in my mind.

"Nice to um, see you too Amaya." I turned to Amaya.

"What are you hurrying for?" she asked.

"Gotta go to P.E. and Coach Clark doesn't accept late students. Instant detention for those who are late." I replied.

"Well, spare me a second. I got to ask you something," she said.

"Sure what?" I asked. Certainly, my answer is a 'no', Amaya.

"Come hang with me after school?" she smiled.

"Sorry, I'm busy right now. Try another time." I shook my head. Or not.

"Oh, alright. I'll see you later," she said. And I'm dropping this...

A piece of paper fell out of Amaya's books and I picked it up to look at it.

Kayla? Why the heck would Amaya want to give me her number? I thought to Kayla, whom I know she was listening to our conversation, as I could tell by her unmistakable shadow passing by.

I'm not sure... Just disregard that and throw it away. she replied.

Alright. I said.

Without hesitation, I threw that piece of paper away into the nearest trash bin. But I know that she might bug me with those because I suspect she wants to try and get me to be hers. I'm aware of that but, I'm taken.

* * *

After changing and doing our warm-ups, Kayla and Carter joined me. And they seem very strangely happy...

"What are you all smiling about?" I asked, with wide eyes.

"Chelsea's coming back for the Christmas Ball!" Carter said, enthusiastically.

"I know right!" Kayla cheered.

"That is great news! I'm pretty sure it will be real fun." I smiled.

Then, I heard the whistle blow throughout the room.

"Coach Clark is here!" I yelled out.

"Yes, that's right Elias." Coach Clark nodded. "Anyway, we're going to the pool today."

The class cheered, except me. I know that I have a big advantage when I'm in water but it won't be fair for the others. I only swim for leisure.

"Elias, you'll be fine. Just will yourself to swim as normal as you can." Kayla reassured me.

"Thanks, Kay," I said. That's my nickname for you.

Wow Elias... wow... Kayla shook her head.

The whole class walked over to the pool where our swim team usually compete at and all of us got changed out of our usual gym uniform and into our swim trunks and suits. After everyone changed, we lined up in front of the pool.

"Right now for the first half hour, all we are doing right now is anything in the pool unless I say something else. I am going to think of something that we could do for it has been a long time since I allowed any one of the classes to go to the pool." Coach said. "Okay, get moving!"

Everyone swam to the deep end of the pool. Kayla, Carter, and I were the only ones who stayed at the shallow end.

Seriously Elias, I really want to hang with you. I heard Amaya's thoughts in my head from afar.

Amaya, don't ever think about me. I thought.

"Elias, you seem uncomfortable..." Carter noted out.

"Is it Amaya?" Kayla whispered.

"You just read my mind," I replied. "How do I even get that girl out of my life?"

"I don't even know... and if we're going on another quest, which I suspect will happen before the Christmas Ball, hope that she is not joining us just like how we didn't like Chelsea to join us at first." she explained.

"Want to take a dive?" Carter asked.

"Nah, I'll stay here." I shook my head and pulled Kayla close to me.

What the heck? I heard Kayla say in her mind.

"Oh, alright. Have fun you two." Carter nodded and joined the other students at the other end.

I still held Kayla close. Both of us were just standing on the shallow end of the pool, not even moving a millimeter. The only things in action were our thoughts.

What are you doing? she asked.

Making sure you're still here. I replied.

I know that, but other students will see us! she exclaimed.

I don't even care. Then I made a move to kiss her, and when we were about to...

"Class, over here now! I got something that y'all can do!" Coach Clark blew his whistle.

Way to ruin the moment... I groaned.

It's okay, we'll continue next time. Kayla reassured me. Man... he's gorgeous...

Spellbound much? I smirked.

Oh, what the heck am I thinking! she said, surprised.

"Williams, Sangster, stop giggling over there and listen!" Coach said sternly.

"Sorry Coach..." we said in unison.

"Now where was I..." he pondered. "Oh right! We're just doing normal competitive laps for this period. I am sure all of you are warmed up, given that you had thirty minutes of free time in the pool. Since we have about six lanes available, we'll call out six people at a time. Take note that there are eleven of us by the way."

I really hope that I am not picked for the first group... I thought.

"First group will be... Caleb, Megan, Luka, Drew, Kayla, and Elias." Coach announced. "Get into the lanes!"

"That's what I get for hoping for the best..." I groaned.

"No worries, at least I'm competing against you." Kayla chuckled. "The Power of Cryokinesis and Hydrokinesis, going against each other in a swimming match."

"Very funny Kayla, very funny." I rolled my eyes with a small chuckle.

Both of us chose two lanes that are beside each other so we could check out each other's progress.

Ready Elias? she asked.

Ready. I nodded, and both of us took our stances.

"Alright, all of you will have to do two laps total. The fastest swimmer will be the team captain for the activity tomorrow. Ready, set..." Coach got ready to blow his whistle.

"Go Elias! Woo!" Carter cheered.

"C'mon Elias! You got it!" another student cheered.

Whoa, everyone's cheering for me. They're thinking I should join the swim team one day, which is not going to happen. I thought.

"Go!"