Chapter Ten: Going... Backward?

Elias's POV

Chelsea was the last one who crossed the waterfall, after all of us.

"Are we all ready?" I asked all of them, and they nodded.

I started swimming to where we are supposed to go. According to my mental compass, the merfolk town is west from here.

"Aren't we a bit slow?" Chelsea inquired.

"I guess you're right, come on." Then, I started to focus my energy on how fast I should go and at the next second, I sped away.

"What the? Elias!" I heard Carter call out to me as I swam away.

Haha, I left them to figure out how I was able to speed away! I thought and chuckled. They better catch on...

* * *

Kayla's POV

I caught on to Elias's thoughts right away. Wow, he's very... competitive.

"How was he able to speed away like that?" Brandon scratched his head, as he had never studied about it before.

"I thought you were the walking encyclopedia here? What makes you think that you can't figure out how Elias sped away?" Carter interrogated.

"Relax guys, I think I found a way..." Chelsea spoke up.

"How?" We all asked at the same time.

"Not telling, meet you there." and Chelsea followed the path Elias took and sped after him.

"Not her too..." Amaya sighed.

Out of the six of us, only Elias and Chelsea figured out how to swim really fast with their tails.

"To be honest, I know that Elias has knowledge in the water and so he was able to figure it out real fast. But Chelsea, how? Her pyrokinetic abilities are the polar opposites of Elias's hydrokinetic abilities." Carter pondered.

"Carter, try thinking about it yourself. If Chelsea can do it, you can too." Brandon suggested.

"Okay, let's see..." Carter concentrated, and then, he sped off.

"Ahhh!" he screamed in surprise at first, then he was having fun. The next few seconds, he was out of view.

"Okay, how about us?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

"See what you can do, Amaya." Brandon turned to Amaya and smirked, who was just literally spaced out.

"... What?" Her eyes went wide. "What did I miss?"

"Half of us figured it out, half of us hadn't. It's your turn," I spoke.

Amaya was confused, but she got what we said.

"I really don't know if it will work for me but..." she then started to close her eyes and concentrate, then she sped off.

"Something's wrong..." I observed Amaya's actions and nudged Brandon.

"She's going backward..." Brandon muttered. "Wait, backward?!"

"AMAYA!" both of us shouted in unison and chased after her, slowly. This is probably going to take a while....

"Brandon, do you know how to get ourselves to go faster?" I asked with an urgent tone.

"No idea, try it yourself and see what happens... I know it's a risk. If you also go backward, I have no idea what to do." he said.

"Okay, let's see...." I concentrated on my powers and thought about how fast I should go and where should I go. For some strange reason, I felt a pull on my back.

"No, no, no, no.....!" Brandon hissed and held his head in frustration. "What have we done?!"

"I'm sorry Brandon!" I sincerely said before I was pulled backward and sped off.

* * *

Elias's POV

"Wow, that was fun!" I cheered as I slowed down in front of the merfolk town.

"Geez Elias..." Carter rolled his eyes. "At least we were able to catch up."

"I don't know about the siblings and Amaya... I feel something wrong here." Chelsea remarked.

"They should have the speeding up thing figured out by now right?" Carter pondered, then looked at me. "Right, Elias?"

Why the hell am I going backward? Amaya's voice resonated in my head.

This isn't supposed to happen! How do I go forward again? Kayla's voice sounded like she was in a panic. Actually, both of them were panicking.

"Elias? What's wrong?" Carter asked, concerned.

I took a deep breath. "Kayla and Amaya are in trouble, we gotta head back!"

"No question about that, let's go!" Chelsea yelled out and we all sped back to the hideout as fast as we can.