Chapter Twenty: To Become the Flame

Kayla's POV

We looked around the ocean floor for a small area that is full of fire coral. When the portal dropped us off here, I don't think it had the right mind to drop us off in a place that only had endless sand and coral that isn't the ones we are looking for. The only thing I knew that will work is that both Brandon and I will inherit part of Carter's and Chelsea's abilities.

"It's extremely useful since the merfolk town is in a warm place and they make friends with fire elementals easily. It's better than having Kayla and Brandon DNA-accepted but shunned away and not being able to get information like the other two can," Kai explained. "How's that?"

I grinned at the idea. "That's great! Let's try it."

Then Kai's expression turned serious. "But you and Brandon have to concentrate on their energy because, during the process, you should never think about your own abilities as the connection is sensitive as it is. If you ever dare to do so, it will gradually be harder to get that connection back. Do you promise to think only of the fire burning inside of you?"

"Yes sir," Brandon replied, on behalf of the both of us.

"Okay guys, now you'll just place your hands onto ours and we will give you further instructions from there," Carter instructed.

Brandon swam over to Carter while I swam to Chelsea. When we are both in front of them, we joined our hands with our respective partners'. According to the three of them, they should speak in about three... two...

"Close your eyes, and feel the heat coarse inside you," I noticed Chelsea's voice turned otherworldly but it doesn't matter now. "The fire is divine, and there is nothing powerful than itself. It represents your core, mind, and spirit." Then slowly, the heat she described went through my body for real. Keep concentrating Kayla, only the fire matters. "It is also your energy supply and the fire is what makes us. In a short time, you will transform into a new person; full of lithe energy growing inside of you." Almost there... "Though the flame can never be extinguished, guard it with your life. Incendis purum!"

The heat through my arms flowed faster than I could ever imagine. I wasn't used to the heat, so I kind of felt like I was burning. Is this what fire elementals feel like whenever and wherever they go? I'm pretty sure, but I still need to do research before I start asking the two of them. Now the heat felt like it was traveling at light speed. Endurance Kayla, you can do this.

Though my eyes are closed, I can notice a very bright light coming into my vision. It was there for a few seconds before everything turned into darkness again.

"Kayla, open your eyes," Chelsea's voice turned back to normal.

I did, and the next thing that popped into my mind was, what was supposed to happen next? Good thing Chelsea mentally heard my question, well, not literally.

"Let go of my hands and now, try to summon a flame."

As I let go, I held my right arm out and imagined a flame rising from it. I thought it would be impossible to do so since we are in the water but my new abilities defied my expectations when a small flame flickered.

"I see it, is this supposed to be a real flame here?" I asked.

She replied, "Supposed to be, don't you feel it?"

At her words, I now actually noticed the heat present in my hand as I held the flame. To my right, Brandon did the same thing with his flame. Soon, we both got used to it and the inheritance was successful. All credits to Kai for the idea.

"Now, you all will be able to pick a bunch of fire coral safely and the forensic agent will surely work," he said.

"Thanks, Kai, you're the best!" Brandon gave him a thumbs-up.

"It's no problem," Kai remarked, then his tone turned serious. "Be careful in that town, there's more danger than there is."

I winked at him. "Don't worry, we got this."

"Great answer, Kayla. I will see you all soon, hopefully with Elias safe and sound and Amaya locked in the jail," then his reflection left.

There was now an awkward silence between the four of us. It was only for a short time at least.

"What are we waiting for? We need to make the agent right away!" Chelsea exclaimed. "Oh wait, did Kai give us the recipe?"

At her words, a bubble with the size of a soccer ball appeared right in front of her. Pop me, it said. She then popped the bubble and where it was, a kelp leaf was there. She was outraged.

"Kai, I can't do anything with this piece of kelp! What kind of business is--"

Brandon cut her off. "Chelsea, slow down. Can't you see the writing?"

"What, where?!" She frantically looked hard at the kelp and saw that there were black lines on it. It was clearly Kai's scrawly handwriting. "Oh, thanks."

"You're welcome," He chuckled. "Anywho, what do we have to do?"

"We have to..."