Chapter Sixteen: Back to the Quest

Kayla's POV

I was in a fit of rage as I helplessly watched Amaya knock Elias out and take him away from our sight. More importantly, mine.

"You okay, Kayla?" Carter asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head slowly then looked down at the ground, tears straining out of my eyes. I took some deep breaths to try and calm myself down but it was too hard to do so. I just can't believe why Amaya could do something like this; She is obsessed with the way he looks and acts and with me in the picture, she gets jealous. Now that she has him, I am angry. So angry that if she saw me now, she will see how mad she had made me just for taking Elias away.

"No worries, we'll get him back," Chelsea reassured. "Kai, do you think you can locate him since he's your friend and all?"

"Sure, let me try." Kai closed his eyes and concentrated. I was hoping for his abilities to work as I badly need Elias to be here but when I saw Kai shake his head, I knew it would be very hard to find him. "Nope, can't find him."

I swam over to a nearby coral reef and sat down with my tail hugged against me and my head tucked. He is somewhere, but we don't know where. One thing is, again, he is with Amaya.

"Do you want to know one thing?" A voice said.

I looked up and saw Chelsea sitting by me. I then raised an eyebrow in question.

"You aren't the only one worried. We are worried too, and the same thing with Elias. If this was me in this situation, I would also be dead worried about Carter that it is enough to isolate myself for a year." she remarked.

"That is a long time," I said.

"It is, but there is no time for worry right? We need to do something before the situation turns for the worse," she stated.

"That's right, but how can we get a lead on this?"

My question was answered when Kai called us over.

"I think I found something. It is not a location to where Elias is at but a shortcut to where the time turners are in the merfolk town. Do you remember that you have to look for these as part of your quest?" He asked all of us. "You know, to get the Realms back in good condition before the freezing of the Ice Realm and warming of the Water Realm?"

That's right! I have to admit, we were too worried about our well-being that we forgot about the quest, which also gives me an idea.

"And while we're at it, we can also find a way to punish Amaya for her actions before Elias could get captured," I chimed in.

"You're right Kayla! But the thing is, the events could've happened two weeks ago or two decades ago so we don't know if the turners have enough energy to go back to ten minutes ago," Brandon remarked.

"Don't worry, they'll have a lot of energy," Kai said. "Anyway, want to know where the shortcut is? It's only about a minute's swim from here."

"That'd be great. Thanks, Kai!" I beamed.

"Heh it's no problem, just follow me."

And so, the four of us followed Kai around the reef I sat by and to another cove. Unlike Kai's hideout, the opening was pitch black.

"Don't worry about the opening, I have to do an easy procedure first before the passage can be opened," Kai said.

"Okay, so what do you have to do?" Carter asked.

"I have to gather a bunch of Fire Coral. I usually handle them carefully but there were some incidents when I just got burned just because I wasn't careful." He replied. "To handle them, you have to hold the bunches in a certain position. If you hold them in the wrong position or you fumble them, even a little bit, you get burned. Do you think Fire Coral affects you in any way, Carter?"

Carter shrugged. "It won't for the most part but I'll follow your advice to be safe."

"Okay then," Kai nodded.

With care, Carter started hunting for Fire Coral. I can tell that he is having trouble finding them, probably because he doesn't take Marine Biology classes like Elias does.

"Carter, need help?" I yelled out.

"Maybe!" He replied.

"Carter, remember, these corals contain color that ranges from yellow to orange," Kai added.

"Thanks, Kai," Carter said as he continued searching, now having an idea of what to find.

"It's no problem," He smiled.

It didn't take long for Carter to find the Fire Coral. He came back with about ten of them in his bare hands. He slowly swam back to the cove and placed them in the sand in front of the passage. "There."

Kai clapped his hands in delight. "Good deal, now let's get this passage up and going!"

* * *

A/N: Sorry all for the long wait! I could've posted this last year (get it?) but my laptop was taken. For all the hungry ones out there, here is the next chapter!