Chapter seven

All of us get in the car, my mom in the drivers seat with Aaliyah and I in the middle row. We all sit in silence as my mom drives. She turns on the radio but no one sings to the song that's on. We finally pull up to Texas Roadhouse and all of us get out of the car and walk in.

"How many today?" The waitress asks.

"Three," my mom responds anxiously. We follow the waitress to a booth and I sit across from my mom right by Aaliyah.

"My name is Calista and I'll be serving you today, can I start you off with a drink?" She asks. I notice that she has bright red hair and brown eyes.

"Cherry limeade," Aaliyah and I say at the exact same time. We both turn to each other and smile. That smile turns into a laugh. We start to laugh and my mom clears her throat. We stop and look away from each other.

"I want a coke, hold the ice please," my mom says glaring at me. I put my head down. The waitress walks away. I mutter an apology to my mom and begin to look at the menu. What should I get? I was interrupted when the waitress came back with our drinks. We all say thanks as she pulls out a little note pad.

"Are y'all ready to order?" She asks smiling at us after handing us our drinks. My mom and Aaliyah nod do I automatically nod. Everyone gets quiet very awkwardly.

"I'll have the Chicken Caesar Salad with ranch please," Aaliyah says being the first one to break the awkward silence.

"I'll have the Chicken Critters," my mom says nodding to me after she's done.

"I'll have the Road Kill," I say. My mom kicks me under the table as the waitress leaves.

"Holland must you order the biggest plate of food here?" My mom says through shut teeth. I give her a wide toothed grin. She kicks me again, making me look down.

"So Aaliyah I'm your mom," my mom says taking a sip of her coke casually. That's typical of my mom. She's too monotone a lot.

"Why'd you give me up for adoption?! Why didn't you love me?!" Aaliyah demands cutting to the chase. I scoot a little bit to the right side.

"Aaliyah, I loved you very much, but I knew I couldn't take care of you, so I have you up for adoption," my mom says setting her coke down.

"You couldn't take care of me?! Pssshhhh right. You didn't want to!" Aaliyah says, obviously hurt. I moved closer to her and set my hand on the bench. I knew she'd need some support. I was surprised when she took my hand. I intertwined our fingers together.

"Aaliyah I couldn't take care of you! I couldn't! Trust me! I tried! I wanted too but money got really tight! I had to give you up for adoption! I didn't want you to live in a car for six months while I got my crap together! And I certainly didn't want to take you to the rehab center with me!" My mom says glaring at Aaliyah. Okay my mom is getting a little to harsh. I look over to see tears pricking Aaliyah's eyes so I rub my thumb along the outside of her palm and I see her eyes go calm. She looks over at me and smiles a soft yet meaningful smile at me.

"What about Holland! He's obviously adopted! He looks nothin like you! Or me for that matter! Two and two isn't equaling four right now! Like for example! Why would you give me up and take Holland and adopt him! We are the same age mom," she says with venom dripping in her tone. Woah she's a feisty little one. I like her feisty side, it's kinda hot. Both my mom and Aaliyah turn to me, their mouths hanging open.

"Did you just say when I'm feisty I'm hot?" Aaliyah says giggling. I use my other hand to smack my forehead.

"Please tell me I didn't says that out loud," I say getting embarrassed. My cheeks get hot as I look down at the table. I feel someone lean over to me.

"You look adorable when you blush Holl," Aaliyah's voice chimes happily. I smile. "And I love when you smile, that's adorable too," she says squeezing my hand. I turn my head towards her and our eyes lock. A sigh comes from her mouth as it turns upward to make a smile. My mom clears her throat and we both snap our heads towards her. I took my elbows off of the table and our food got plated in front of us. We all said thank you and started to eat as soon as the waitress left.
-----------

"I'm done with this!" My mom said storming out of the room. Aaliyah looks at me with a confused look on her face.

Flashback

We just got done eating and paying the bill. The three of us left the restaurant and got out to our car. We drove to my house and walk into my living room. Aaliyah and I sat across my mom and we all started talking.

"You know what I don't understand," my mom says looking at Aaliyah. I have a feeling this isn't going to be pretty .

"What?" Aaliyah and I say simultaneously

"Why this has to happen. I mean I gave you up for adoption for a reason, I didn't ever think you'd come back into my life! And as for you Holland! You aren't aloud to see this girl anymore!" My mom says.

"Mom! NO! Aaliyah is amazing come on just take the chance to get to know her!" I beg.

End of flashback

That leads us to now. Aaliyah looks over at me and smiles a sad smile. I pull her into a hug. She pulls away from me.

"I'm gonna go Holland, thanks for everything," she says shaking her head and looking away from me. I put my hand on her chin and turn her to face me.

"Aaliyah, please don't go," I say with hope that she won't.

"I'm going to," Aaliyah says turning around so that her back is facing me. She walks to the door and turns back to wave at me. I wave back at her as she pulls the door shut behind her. I walk to my mom's bedroom to find her packing.

"Mom, you can't keep running," I say.

"You don't understand Holland," she says frantically shoving more things in her suitcase.

"I'm done mom! You don't ever accept anyone! I'm done! You can't take away my happiness again. I'm staying here!" I say.