Chapter 17: Part two

We sit in the back of the closet under a table. "Holland, what does it sound like when it's raining?" Aaliyah asks as she leans her head down on my shoulder.

I put my hands out in front of my a sign "It sounds like multiple taps, on the roof." She nods her head. Aaliyah and I have been sitting here for about 15 minutes. No one has shown up yet, but it's still early. I couldn't help but wonder why my mom was at the hospital when something this big was happening. Aaliyah and I are in serious danger and she's gone?! Not to mention Martin is gone too. What the heck?! We sit there quietly as the storm gets worse.  The lights in the closet start to flicker, causing Aaliyah to bury her face into my neck. 

"Holland, I'm scared," she says, right before the lights flicker off. I grab my phone out of my pocket and go to my notes. Aaliyah, as long as I'm here you have nothing to be scared of.  I type and show her. She nods and smiles at me. I hear something shatter. "Holl, have you called 911?" Aaliyah asks. I mentally face palm. No... I didn't. I pick up my phone and dial 911.

"Hello, 911. What's your emergency?" the operator asks.

"Hi, I have an intruder in my house," I say as quietly as I can.

"Okay, I'm going to need you to stay in the phone with me as long as you can, and I will send the athorities over. What's your name?" the operator asks.

"My name is Holland Boyce," I reply.

After a series of other questions it got quiet, too quiet. The operator was still on the phone, yet the police still weren't here. I was feeling very uneasy about this. Aaliyah was also very quiet. I kinda figured she was asleep or close to it. I hear something crash, causing me to jump a little. Aaliyah moved in my arms slightly. At that moment I was glad she couldn't hear anything, because I really didn't want her to be scared.

As I continue to listen I hear something thud against the wall. The thud came once again, making me realize that the intruder was thuding on my door, which made me worry even more. All I could hope was that we would be fine. I heard the door fall on the floor. Multiple things fell into the floor with a crash.

"Holland Boyce! Where are you?" I hear my mom yell. I lightly shake Aaliyah. She yawns and rubs her eyes.

"What's going on, Holl?" She asks as the light flicks on to reveal my mom. Relief flows through my veins as I pull Aaliyah up with me.  My mom walks to us and hugs us. "Holland, I am so sorry that I was gone. I had an ultrasound today, and Martin and I have been looking for a new house all day. We were out of town," my mom rushed.

"A new house?" I ask, pulling away from the hug. What does she mean a new house? We don't need a new house, ours is perfect! We have a free room, for the baby, which means the house is perfect for our family!

"Yes, Holland, we need to talk about a few things," she says. I shake my head. I can't believe this! I look at Aaliyah, I can't leave Lees.

"Aaliyah?!" I hear a woman yell. The woman runs around the corner of my room and pulls Aaliyah into her arms. This must be Aaliyah's adoptive mother. When the lady lets go of Aaliyah her blue eyes looked worried, her red hair was frizzy and curly. She was tall and slim.

"Calm down mom, I'm fine! Holland would have never let anything happen to me!" she reassures, pointing at me. The woman, Aaliyah's mom, turns to me and looks me up and down, then she looks at my mom. I could see the worried look in her eyes as her and my mom shared a look. I knew that look, it was the mom look. I never knew what the mom look meant, and something tells me that I never would quite understand what it meant.

"Well, Danielle, I never knew that my daughter was dating your son,"  her mom says. My mom nods.

"I tried to get a hold of you, Lydia, but your phone number has been changed," my mom informs her.

"So, Danielle, when did you adopt your son?" her mom asks with a harshness in her voice.  I look at my mom.

"I adopted him when her was 2 years old, I actually got him as a foster child when he was 7 months. I didn't know that I was going to adopt him," my mom says defensively. I could tell my mom was getting upset. "You have no idea what it's like putting a baby up for adoption, Lydia. I cried for months. I knew I couldn't give her what she needed and deserved," my mom was hurting, it was obvious.

"Mom, you never judge someone about a decision they made," Aaliyah speaks up. 

"Aaliyah, you don't know what you're talking about," her mom warns her. Aaliyah glares at her mom.

"Neither do you, you have never put a child up for adoption," Aaliyah pointed out.  Her mom looks at her, and let me just say if looks could kill I honestly believe that all of us would be dead. Aaliyah's mom grabs her arm and pulls her out of my room. Without so much as a goodbye Aaliyah was gone. I look at my mom. I knew what was coming next, and I didn't want to talk about it.