Secrets Kept

She looked away, slightly shaking her head, staring down at the sheets covering her legs. I caught a glassy look in her eyes before she closed them and took in a deep breath. "It's all my fault Jacob," she cried in a cracked tone. 

"Hey, hey, calm down. What's your fault Ness?" I asked, pulling her into my body as tears streamed down her face. My hand stroked her cheek as she cried. I kissed her temple and stayed quiet for a few minutes, giving her time. "Nessie, tell me what's wrong so I can make it better, please," I begged. I hated seeing her upset or worried. It killed me to see her like this. 

"It's the Volturi Jacob. They don't approve of us being together. That's why we moved. That's why dad was so pissy with us being together, and that's why I'm back. They're coming here. Alice saw it in a vision, and there's no point in even trying to run from them. They could be here any day, and I don't know what is going to happen." 

I shook my head slowly, staring at the wall of my room. I was in shock. This couldn't be happening. It just couldn't be. Just when I get Ness to myself, she's being pulled from me quicker than what I had her for. How could this be happening to us? It wasn't fair. It just wasn't fair! 

All I could do was pull Ness closer to me, holding her and trying to comfort her, the best I could. I couldn't find the words to speak with. I should have thought this could happen, maybe then we could have stopped it from happening in the first place. Maybe we could have kept our relationship a secret. Maybe we could have run away together. . . I just wished there was something we could do to stop it all from happening now, but there was no rewind button to press.  

"How did they find out?" I whispered in a low tone against her ear. 

"Those two vampires that were after me, they work for the Volturi. They were meant to kidnap me and take me back to them," she murmured against my chest. My eyes closed in sorrow. No wonder those two vampires disappeared when Ness left, but for some reason, I still had hope that just maybe, they would tell Aro I hadn't been with the Cullens' when they left for South America. But that still didn't explain Alice's vision. I hoped so much that she was wrong, or they changed their minds.  

I knew what the Volturi were like. We had been so lucky last time they had come here. I didn't think we could be that lucky again. We didn't have the help like we did last time, and how could we fight against the Volturi anyway? We weren't strong enough with just the pack and the Cullens'. With vampires like Jane and Alec on their side, there was nothing we could do to even tempt at stopping them if they wanted to take Ness away.  

I bit my lip hard, holding her to me tighter. I couldn't let them take her away from me though. I couldn't live without Ness. I kissed her cheek and also realised last night happened before she told me, because I would then know the risks we would be taking, not that it mattered now anyhow. We were already in more trouble than I ever thought imaginable. I had thought the worse trouble we could get into was with Edward, not the Volturi. They hadn't even entered my mind for a second. Of course they wouldn't agree with us being together. I knew we were even more so forbidden to be together than human and vampire. Ness and I were meant to be natural enemies, not lovers like we were. But that didn't mean I was going to give up without a fight either. No matter the odds, I would always fight for Ness and I to be together, even if it killed me. Death would have to be better than living forever without Ness.  

"What are we going to do Jacob? No matter what we do, it isn't going to help anything. It isn't like we can just disappear off this planet and live our own lives without them watching over us every second of the way." 

She had a point, I knew that much, but it also didn't stop us from living the lives we already had, before we lost it. We still would be living that life if Alice hadn't seen them coming, so we would do just that until they came.