one

I bite into the dried meat, it was hard and chewy, but I clench down on it with my teeth, and rip the rest off and start chewing. I sit on a log, with my arms on my knees, knees spread apart, and hands just dangle in between them as I listen to the men tell their stories of that day. I hadn't showered in weeks, but neither have any of the other men, and we all reeked of sweat and blood. The captain had just walked in the small group around the fire pit.
"Get plenty of rest tonight. We move out first thing in the morning." He sits down next to me on the log with a huff, hearing all the complaints from the men. He turns to me after rubbing his face with his hands.
"For all the women I have ever met, you complain the least. Hell, you complain less than these men I have to take care of."
I chuckle, "Well, I was raised by you. And you did a pretty damn good job at making sure I wouldn't complain, and whine." I remember in the first couple years of being part of the group, I would cry every time I would get hurt when we practiced. He made sure to make a stop to that. I would get punished every time I cried or complained, extra night guard duty, an extra hour or so of practicing. Running longer. I soon learned to just take in what I got, and get over it. It was my job.
"You've been doing magnificent these past few battles. I think it's about time for a promotion." He stands up looking down at me.
I am shocked, as I look up at him, then quickly stand on my own two feet before him. "Captain." I whisper, unsure what to say. I have moved up in rank faster than any man here has, and it would be unfair to those who have served all their lives.
"You fight better and faster than half the men here. You are more loyal than the other half, and I've never met with someone with so intelligent tactics, with how to go about our battles. I want you at my side at this next battle. Lotus is retiring before then anyways, and you will take his place."
With that he walks away back toward his tent. I stand there for a few moments more, processing what had just happened. I was only sixteen. Or at least I think I am, for I really will never know.
Some of the men had over heard and jealous looks were on their faces, while others looked proud. I pick up the rest of my uneaten dried meat, and canteen of water and head to my tent before anyone could catch a conversation with me. My horse huffed outside the tent, reminding me that she was mine. I take off my boots and lay down on the uncomfortable ground pulling a sheet over me sighing. I did not understand my captain. Then again, I may never understand him. I've realized growing up with men, they think much differently than women do. I close my eyes and drift into a deep sleep.

The sun hadn't even touched the sky when I hear rattling outside my tent, waking me up. I sit up right before one of the men peak their head through the opening.
"Gather your things. It's time to go."
I quickly put my boots on and start rolling up my bedding, and shoving anything else into a back pack I carried. I throw my jacket over my shoulders and carry the bedding out of the tent placing them on my horse and tying them down. I check the tent once more to make sure I had everything, and I am glad I did, for I almost left a book I am learning to read. I've had the book for years, but no one has had the time to teach me to read it and I've been trying on my own, but it's difficult. I shove the book in my back pack, tighten my belt, make sure my sword is sheathed, and hop onto my horse as I watch some men tear down the tent, preparing to put it on the carriage. I walk my horse over to the captain.
"This is earlier than I thought. Maybe even everyone thought. What's the hurry, sir?"
He turns to me, his face pale, as if he's seen a ghost.
"A messenger boy came from my home town. They're being attacked. My wife and children are there."