fifty-four

I give the entire kingdom two hours to get to me once the bells have started to ring. Many are confused and I see concern on many faces. I know they are confused of why I am in men's clothes as well. For I am supposed to be a princess.
Keir, Rune, and Damek stand on either side of me, with parchment and ink in their hands.
Once two hours pass, I raise my hand high and begin to hear the entire crows go quiet.
"As you all know I am Erin, the lost princess of Queen Beatrice and King Cicerion. I am here to tell you by the kings orders, to grab anything you need to survive and your valuables, and prepare to all leave in three days time. There is a group outside our kingdom waiting to attack us, they have more than twenty thousand men, trained and ready to kill. Queen Eiva is providing us all a place to stay that will be safe, while we prepare for war against the Pandoreos. Any men and women willing to fight with us, will stay here so we can write down your names and have a count for weapons. We will have you train and ready before the war begins. The women and children and any elders will be in the front with myself and several of our guards to protect them. The men will travel in the middle, while the rest of our guards will be in the back. Tonight carriages from the castle will drive by every home to gather anything you wish to bring with you. Prepare to never return here. For we might not, but I will do my best to ensure that we will return one day! Anyone who wishes to stay you may, but know that the Pandoreos lurk outside our kingdom waiting to hunt us down, ready to kill us all. Therefore you will have no chance of survival if you stay. For anyone that was unable to come to this gathering, let them know. Spread the news like a wildfire. We leave the kingdom in three days. Be lined up and ready to go that morning. Now go and ready yourselves! Sir Kier, Rune, and Damek here will write down the names of those who are willing to fight at our sides, line up behind each of us and we will."
I look at the large amount of people below me and start walking down the stairs taking parchment and ink from Kier. I watch as many people begin leaving while many stay. I notice some women are hesitant to stay, but once they look at me again, I give them a nod of approval. When we reach the bottom, we stand aide by side and begin asking for people's names. The lines begin.

The sun is setting by the time we have written every name down, and my stomach growls of hunger. I force myself to ignore it, for i am going to have to get used to not eating much once again. I gather everyone's papers with all the names on it and lead the way back to the castle, but am stopped by a small hand tugging at my trousers. I look down and see a young boy. I kneel down on one foot so I am level with the boy. He doesn't look older than 8 years of age.
"What is it dear?" I ask.
"I... I want to fight too, your grace." His voice shakes. "My parents are gone.. And I want to do something. I'm scared to be all alone."
I look back at Kier and Rune who stare directly back at the boy.
I turn to the boy once more. "We will make sure you get there safely. In fact, I know of someone who will take care of you. That way you don't have to fight."
"Erin, who exactly is going to take care of this little boy?" I hear Keir whisper in my ear after placing a hand on my shoulder.
I stand up straight and hold out my hand for the little boy. I remember being that young and wanting the same thing as he does. Though I will not let him fight, i will at least make sure he has someone to rely on.
"Come with us. You will never be left alone again."
"So I can fight with you?" He asks, his face brightening.
"One day, my dear." I say. I then bend down again and lift the boy up onto my shoulders. I hear him giggle as we begin walking toward the castle.
When we get there, I can see that father has told everyone to start getting ready to leave. It's almost chaotic. We enter the castle and I begin heading toward my room.
"What is your name?" I ask the boy still sitting on my shoulders.
"My name is Sam, your grace."
"Please. My name is Erin. You will call me that from now on."
"Are you sure? Don't all princesses want to be called that?"
"Don't all princesses wear dresses too?" I look up to see his shocked face turn into a giggle. "How old are you?"
"I am 7 years old." Sam answers.
"And what happened to your parents?" I ask.
"My mum died when I was born, and papa died from an illness not too long ago."
"I'm sorry to hear that." I stop before my bedroom door and kneel down for Sam to walk on his own again. "Just know, that I will make sure you are always taken care of from now on."
I open the door to see Dakota resting next to the bed. Izabella is preparing my room for the night but stops when she sees the boy next to me.
"Izabella, this is Sam. He doesn't have a mother or father, and I would like for you to take care of him, if you will?"
She looks at the boy then at me for a long time, her mouth open in shock.
"Of course, Erin. Anything for you." She finally speaks, and it seems as though she might cry.
"Please, take him to the kitchen and get him something to eat. He will need warmer clothes for our journey as well, and a place to stay until we leave."
"Yes." She nods and leads Sam to the kitchen.
I turn around to see Rune, Keir, and Damek still behind me.
"We will count how many weapons we will need, and find how many will need to be forged." I say looking around. "We just need a place to do all if this..."
"You can use my office." Fathers voice comes from behind them.
I look over at him.
"You'd best be going about it. It's going to be getting late soon." Father speaks again. "I will send dinner to you guys."
I walk out of the room, giving Dakota time to walk out as well before I close the door.
"Thank you, father." I say.
"After the war, when we return, I will make sure you have an office of your own." He smiles at me and then walks off.
I look over at Rune, and he lifts his eyebrow at me. Damek is just as shocked as I am, and Keir just looks at me with a faint smile.
"Well, let's get going." I say and start heading toward father's office, with everyone following behind me.