fifty-eight

When we get to my room, Dakota lifts her head up, having been all sprawled out on the bed. Her fur is a mess, and I chuckle at her.
"Getting comfortable around here, are we?" I approach her, stroking her head and sit at the edge of the bed. Kier sits down in a cushioned chair, after setting it down across from me.
"I have been able to get a hold of a man I once traveled with many years ago. We were once very good friends, he just wanted to go out and get together a group, while I wanted to settle down and get married. I couldn't travel with him anymore, and I was not expecting to hear back from him, but he must be visiting his home town for a little while. I sent a letter to him when we first got here, and just received a letter back from him. I asked him if he would join us, for the upcoming war. We could use as much man power as we can. Besides, he is not quite human himself."
This is the most Kier has ever said to me in one sitting. I stare at him for a moment taking in all of the information. Not human...
"What do you mean he's not human?" I ask slowly, very skeptical.
"He only has a couple weaknesses, and since there are very few people who know them, he will live forever until someone uses one of those weaknesses against him. He is stronger than any human can possibly ever be, he is actually even able to fly. He has gotten a group together, trying to find other people with special abilities." He pauses looking at me.
I know I have a look of complete disbelief on my face.
"You don't have to look at me like that. I understand that this is something that is hard to believe, especially since you have never seen someone fly before." He tells me.
Knowing that Dakota can talk to me helps me believe that something like that can exist. If I hadn't met Dakota, I would have a hard time believing him. "I believe you." I say, not giving him that weird look anymore. "I've... seen some things in my life. However, I don't understand why you are telling me this."
He sighs. "I need you to go get them. When ever we get to Queen Eiva's castle, you need to go find them. He will remain in his home town for a while, waiting for someone to go get him."
"Why can't you just go get him?"
"Because, there are many people who need to be trained, and I have been training soldiers all my life. I am needed here."
"You don't think I can train soldiers?" I say, offended.
"No, I believe you would be one of the best trainers there. You are good at traveling, and I am almost sure you have been to that town before, making your trip there and back much easier, than any of us could make it. He.. he also need to know who he is fighting for. He is not going to budge from his comfortable home if he doesn't trust the one in charge of everything." I have never seen Kier so... vulnerable before.
I almost laugh. "I am hardly the one in charge, Kier."
"But you are. Rune is the one of the few who knew about the Pandereos before anyone else has. He or I would be the ones in charge, knowing what we know, but we have nothing to our names. We are no ones. You, you are a future queen. You have a lot more say in everything, than Rune and I combined. You have also grown a lot since we have gotten to this castle. As much as it has stressed you out, it has strengthened and matured you. I hardly trusted your word when we first met, because you acted like a child who wanted to be in charge. You have a lot of growing up to do still, but right now, I trust you the most to go and find this man."
I sit thinking for a long moment.
I know you want to stay with your people, but maybe some time away from everything for a little bit could clear your mind. Dakota chimes in. You could use some air. Especially since traveling is all you have ever known, being cooped up in this castle mustn't be good for your mind.
I look at her for a moment then turn back to Kier, "I will do it. But, how am I going to find him, if I don't even know his name?"
"His name is Ethan. I do not know how many men he has with him, he only met one other person with special abilities when I knew him. He could have several more, hundreds more, or it could be just the two of them."
"Rune won't like me leaving all of a sudden..."
"Rune will be fine. He has business to take care of, and being in the castle he grew up in, will be beneficial to him, and us. He will show us around, and I will keep him busy, so he doesn't miss you."
I nod at him, however I still worry that something will happen while I am away. It makes me want to go see him now. I jump when I feel Kier's hand on my shoulder.
"It will be ok. Once this war is over, we will have peace once again." His eyes show me determination.
I nod more confidently now. He leaves the room and I throw myself back onto the plush bed, groaning.
"Who knew being a princess would be so hard?"
It only gets harder from here. Dakota lays back down.
I lift myself back up again, and leave the room myself to go find Rune.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Hey guys, I apologize I haven't been posting chapters much lately, been in writers block for quite a while. Since I am coming close to the end of this book, the first of its series, it has motivated me to write more. I hope to write a chapter every few days, but please forgive me if I get writers block again! I'll see you guys next chapter!
~J