CHAPTER 9

It was really fücking bizarre to see him hanging around your safe haven.

This place meant everything to you. It was the one place where the burdens of the world didn't hang on your shoulder.

Sure, sometimes you had to drag in newbie kids to prove matters were serious.

But when there were no newbies, no ambassadors, no local cops— it was just you.

"You're staring." Bucky Barnes snapped, drilling a hole into your head. Sweet. His tarred personality was beginning to surface. At least it'll help you get over this whole infatuation.

You growled. "Well, you wouldn't have noticed if you were looking at me." Oh, this guy is definitely going to be scared off. The first time you were a little cocky. The second time you were a little seductive. The third time you were a complete ašshole. Wait, fourth time you saw him you were also an ašshole. But, hey! This time you're being a little defensive!

Heh, dealing with your ašs is like having another world war.

"Well at least I'm not staring." He heaved a sigh, shoving his fingers into his coat. There was clear smoke following out his nostrils from the bitter cold. "What are we doing here?"

"Ethan is just opening up the gates. It shouldn't be too long. Did you watch that movie?"

"What movie?"

"Tracers, remember?"

"I barely found any time."

"Mmm," you hummed, mockingly. "You're in big trouble."

The man furrowed his brows, knitted his face to a frown. "I can handle it."

"Yeah, of course. You know, because you've dealt with world war two and the whole H.Y.D.R.A. thing too." You saw his face hardened and slowed your rambling. "Whatever, but I hope you know how to swim."

"Why do you do that?"

You paused, glancing at the man. "Do what?"

"Well, first things first, you always act like everything is completely fine. And you always seem to keep yourself on the suspicious side of things. It's unsettling."

"Well, the answer is simple," you started, beaming like a little girl who got a compliment for her dress. "It's just in my nature."

"Brilliant." He scoffed, staring at the metal door that began to slowly open.

You studied his face as it lit up in wonder. His deep-set blues widened, growing vivid in color as the rays of sun hit them. You loved the way his stubble chin sharpened the look of his jaw, but you desired to see his baby butt clean face some day. That was one reason to have him around. As he raised his head, his Adam's apple came into view. It bobbed as though he were gulping. He looked apprehensive yet awestruck all at the same time.

But bloody hell, it was just a worn out ship.

Yet, you liked that about him too. He was cold as stone, that's why it was precious to see any other expression upon him. Reason two to keep him around.

"Keep it moving, sugar." You called, snatching him by his collar to quicken his pace. Eventually you let go, realizing his face had not changed from that extremely stunned look. But ultimately, he broke out of that trance and stared at you for the new nickname.

You'd been doing a bit of research, he guessed. The way you were beginning to address him was triggering memories from the past— pleasant ones, of course. A faint tint of scarlet crossed his cheek, nothing noticeable but to himself. "So what about you?" You asked.