Chapter 2 - Moth to a flame

It was 4.45pm once I finally finished, I’d wasted a good 20 minutes sulking before I’d continued, however I gave in when I realised my stubbornness was only keeping me stuck in the company of this jerk longer. We left the class room and I followed him grudgingly to the staff car park. The sun wasn’t setting yet, but the sky was dulling for the day and I told myself to be thankful that at least I didn’t have to walk. Both my parents would be at work until the early hours of the morning and I wouldn’t have been able to call them at all.

“For what it is worth Miss Andrews, I didn’t like giving you a tardiness detention, if it hadn’t been that I had just talked about it, you’d have been fine” He offered in a soft voice, as we reached his Nissan pulsar. He unlocked the doors and then looked over at me before he got in to the car “But calling me an idiot was pretty childish, you must admit”

I got in the car and clipped in my belt

“I call things how I see them” I replied, it was mostly true, not usually with teachers or others in a superior position to me. Mr Cartwright didn’t say anything else after that, except to find out my address. Surprisingly he didn’t need directions, and it wasn’t until he pulled into a driveway across the road from my own that I realised why.

“You have to be kidding me” I groaned “My neighbour? Really”

He smirked and got out of the car. I got out and looked over at my house and found myself frowning. There were no lights on, no cars in the driveway, no nothing. At least during summer I’d seen my parents because I was working for them, but now it was back to business as usual, me looking after me.

“Thanks for the ride” I replied honestly, I was thankful for the ride, even if the reason I needed one was pretty much his fault anyway.

“Elliot…” he called out as I began to walk down the driveway, his voice said the L’ss again slowly, and they rolled off his tongue like silk. I shook my head, this man was a frustration, an annoyance, why was I so caught up on the way it sounded when he said my name!

I stopped and turned around

“Are you home alone?” he asked softly

“No need to alert the authority’s Mr Cartwright, I’m 17 and more than use to it” I said, the last half of my sentence coming out a little bit sadder than I had intended it too. I turned back around and walked across the road and across the lawn of my ‘family’ home, where our family never seemed to be all at once during daylight hours. I unlocked the front door and flicked the dining and hall light on. I walked through the dining room in to the kitchen and saw a note on top of a pot of spaghetti and meatballs

Hello Elliot,

Dinner in the pot, bed early please

Love mom and dad

I placed the noted back on the pot and walked up to my bedroom. I opened my laptop to see an IM group chat with Ryan, Louise and I, although I hadn’t responded yet.

Ryryguy – You see how angry she was though, phroar

Louuuuie – Well he did kind of make an example of her

Elliebellie – Hey guys, home from my correctional rehabilitation, general consensus, our new teacher is a moron

Louuuuie – A hot moron