Chapter 8 - Phoenix Rising

I looked over at Matt and because he was sitting so close I could see the tattoo with better clarity than I had seen last night when I was totalled. It was stunning. I wanted to touch it again.

“When did you get that?” I asked pointing to the phoenix

“When I was 19” he said sadly, obviously the tattoo meant something personal to him “You know how I mentioned my mom? How she cotton balled me and my sister after my dad died. Well, When I was 18 and Jeanie was 12 she… She killed herself. I became Jeanie’s guardian and that year was hard, by the time I turned 19, I felt like I was rising from the ashes, picking up the pieces, so to speak.”

Matt stopped talking and I was suddenly aware of my tears streaming down my eyes. I’d had no idea his mom had passed away too. He didn’t want to share to much, because it was obvious it made him emotional still, I could see his own tears threatening to surface, but before they could roll down his cheeks he blinked them away.

His eyes met with mine and softened when he noticed the tears I still hadn’t wiped away. He put the coffee mug down on the coffee table and moved off the ottoman and knelt in front of me. He used the edge of his thumb to wipe away the tears under my right eye, and then my left

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you cry” he whispered, his hand lingering on the side of my face. My stomach turned again, but this time it was a good feeling, and part of me wanted to leap forward and press my lips to Matt’s and forget everything, be blissfully unaware of real life.

Matt suddenly realised our proximity and awkwardly stood up and walked away in to the kitchen, I already missed the feel of his hand on my face.

“I think I’d like to do that” I mused running my fingers over where matts had just been. “Get a tattoo I mean”

Matt walked back into the lounge and sat back down on the ottoman.

“I’ll come with you if you like” He grinned

I smiled back, and nodded. So much for avoiding his friendship, He was like the plague. One touch and I was back to being a zombie. I’d never been like this before when it came to guys. I’d never found myself wistfully staring at them, willing them to touch me, but for some reason, from that first time I’d met Matt in the classroom, something drew me to him. Why did my first crush have to be on a teacher?

“So, I need a shower, and my contacts.” I said shuffling the blanket off me, I had to get out of here.

“I’ll run over and get your contacts, go have a shower”

“You’re not going to let me leave are you Matt?”

Matt’s head shot up and he smiled “It’s nice to hear you call me Matt again”

“You didn’t answer my question… Should I consider myself abducted?” I whispered, feigning shock and fear

“Yes, you should. Now go shower” He joked as I stood up, and began to make my way down the hall. “Towels are in there in the cupboard”

I walked into his bathroom and shut the door behind me. I jumped back as I turned around greeted by myself in front of a large mirror. I walked a little closer and sighed. I looked like a mess. My hair technically down, but so ratty that it felt like it was tied up. MY face was tired and my eyes were bloodshot. I looked down at my attire and bit my lip. I’d walked around the block like this, I’d laid down on the road like this, Matt had lifted me up and carried me like this. I was wearing a black singlet, with a bra (Thank god!) and my boy leg underwear… and that was literally it.

I must have stripped before my drunken walk. I sighed at my stupidity. My parents were dead and all I was doing was drinking myself silly and drooling all over my teacher. What an awesome person I am.