Chapter 9 - Confessions

The next morning ryan’s mom came and picked me up and we drove to the church where the funeral was being held. My parents lay together in separate caskets at the end of the church.

I spoke with the director and he reassured me that everything was running smoothly. As the church filled I became ever more aware that there were many many more people than I had anticipated.

First the director spoke about the things my parents had achieved and their lives, and then he invited others to speak. A lot of the workers got up and spoke about how much they admired my mom and dad, and how dedicated they were. Regular customers spoke and it touched my heart that my parents had touched so many lives. Then it was my turn.

 “To be honest I didn’t know how I was going to speak today. Because so many of you knew my parents in so many ways that I didn’t.My parents loved me, and I know they did because they bought a restaurant and named it after me, You don’t name a restaurant after a hormonal 12 year old unless you love them. When the business kicked of I didn’t really see my parents very much, but I always knew they loved me. I’ll never forget our last day together mom and dad. I just wish I could see you again” I said, barely managing to get through a quarter of my speech, tears were streaming.

Louise and Ryan came and got me and slowly walked me back to my seat, before I turned to sit back down, I saw Matt out of the corner of my eye. Standing as far back as he could. He came.

After the service finished there was a morning tea. I talked with a few family members before separating myself and looking for Matt. I still felt terrible and I wanted to apologize. I saw him walking down the path toward his car, so I ran to catch up to him.

“Matt!” I called as he unlocked his car door “Wait”

He stopped and stood there as I jogged up to him

“Oh, hey, I know you said not to come… Sorry” he mumbled

“I didn’t say not to come… I just acted like an immature brat, and I am sorry. I am glad you came. Thank you” I replied honestly, outstretching my arm, gently touching his arm. His eyes closed and he took a step forward, drawing me in to a hug. He smelt good, like vanilla and some kind of cologne, My head rested upon his chest and I couldn’t help but feel like this was how we were meant to be.

“I better get back to the wake, but, drop by later maybe?” I suggested pulling back, before I did something silly, I’d done enough silly things over the past week, and while many would put it down to the loss of my parents, I knew that wasn’t the only reason.

“We can eat popcorn and watch movies if you’d like?” Matt suggested, smiling.

I nodded and the turn and walked back to the gathering.

“so Saw you talking to Mr C” Louise said flanking my left, she sounded suspicious of something, but of what I wasn’t sure. “you guys are pretty close”

“We’re friends, kind of… I dunno, he’s been a great help this week, that’s all” I replied

“You know you can talk to me Ellie, about anything. I’m not going to judge” she said with a little more urgency, like she was pleading me to tell her something.

“I know, and I will I promise.” I said, the guilt sinking in to my gut.

We went back to my place around 1pm and then Later that night once Louise, Ryan and ryan’s family left I ran upstairs to chuck some pjs on and grab my comforter and popped the popcorn before lounge on the couch. I picked up my phone and began a text to Matt