Chapter Thirteen

When I woke up I wasn't surprised to find myself in a hospital, but I was surprised to see Chris sitting in the chair next to my bed.

"Hey," he said.

I tried to say hi but ended up having a cough attack instead so I waved at him. Was it bad that I wished Logan was here instead of him?

I didn't have much time to think about it because there was a knock at the door then my mom and a nurse stepped inside. The nurse handed me a cup of water, left, and I downed it within seconds.

"Where's Shawn?" I asked.

No one answered. I looked over at Chris and he was staring down at his feet. I looked over at mom and she grabbed my hand in his hers and looked at me with the saddest eyes. Even the nurse didn't say anything.

"Mom? What's going on?"

"Oh, sweetie. Shawn's...." she trailed off.

"He's what?"

"He's....in a coma. The doctors aren't sure if he's gonna make it or not. I'm so sorry."

Great. I couldn't handle another death. Especially since this was Carrie's brother!

"Don't worry though. I'm sure he's gonna be okay," Chris said.

I nodded. I didn't believe him. How was he supposed to be okay? Why did he have to be in the coma and not me? I deserved it, not Shawn. Mr. and Mrs. Harper don't need another one of their kids to die. It's not right or fair.

Logan came into the room and of course Rebecca was with him. She didn't look at me or bother to say hi, instead she started talking with Chris.

"You're awake," Logan said.

"Yes, I am."

"I'm gonna go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat. You wan't anything?"

"No, I'm good." Mom nodded and left me alone with Logan, Becca, and Chris. "I bet I look awful," I said to Logan. Becca and Chris were to engrossed in their conversation to hear a word we were saying.

"You were in a car accident."

"Did I need any stitches?"

"Surprisingly, no."

I looked down at my arms and realized that I had a splint on the left arm.

"What happened?"

I shook my head, "I don't know. All I knew was we were driving back home and singing to the radio when this car came out of nowhere. Shawn swerved off the road and we ended up hitting some tree." Oh, God I was starting to get a headache and my body felt like it was being lit on fire.

"It's okay. You don't have to tell me right now. We can talk about this later."

"Is Shawn really in a coma?"

Logan nodded.

"I saw Carrie," I whispered.

"What?"

"I said I saw Carrie."

Logan looked at me as if I was crazy. He stuck his hands in his jean pockets and looked around the room before settling his gaze on me.

"Don't lie."

"I'm not lying."

"Look. I know you're sad and mourning the death of your best friend. I get that. Really I do but making up a story about seeing your friend is taking it to far."

"I'm not lying," I said. How could he not believe me? Tears were starting to come out but I blinked them away.

"Seriously Hayley. You need to stop now."