Chapter Sixteen

***A/N ok so I edited chapter fifteen because I thought it was to short and I didn't like it. So instead of you having to go back and find the edited part here's a recap of what happened.*****

Recap:

As soon as I knocked on the door, he answered. I fell into his arms and cried harder. He tried calming me down, but it made it worse. There was nothing anyone could do to make me feel better.

"It's okay," he said into my hair.

I shook my head. "No it's not. Everyone's right. It's my fault. I can't take this anymore. I don't know what to do."

Chris pulled me into the living and sat down on the couch. "I know exactly how you feel," he said, once I got comfortable. I looked at him puzzled. How could he know how I felt? "My mom and dad died when I was eight. The people that I live with is my aunt and uncle."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"How could you? I never talk about it. Neither does Jessica."

"How did they die?"

Chris stared down at his hands before answering. "Car accident. I don't really remember it. Just a little. I try not to think of it."

"I'm sorry."

Chris shrugged. "So what's wrong?" he asked trying to change the subject.

"Nothing. It's...never mind. I don't want to talk about it."

He nodded. "So what do you want to talk about?"

"Anything else."

"You want some cookies?"

"What?"

Chris got up from the couch and disappeared into the kitchen. He came back out with a plate full of chocolate chip cookies.

"You're Betty Crocker now?"

"I can't cook to save my life. Jessica made them before she left."

I took a cookie and he sat back down next to me. We started talking about school and anything else that didn't have to do with dying. After an hour of talking we started watching a movie. Chris' phone buzzed a couple of times but he ignored it. I'm surprised mine was ringing every five minutes. Two hours later I realized that I needed to get home.

When I got home, it was quiet. I thought maybe everyone had fallen asleep but Molly came running to the front door and hugged my legs.

"I love you!" she said. "Please don't leave! Pleeeeease! Pretty, pretty, pretty please!!"

I couldn't help but laugh. "I'm not gonna leave. I just need to go to the kitchen to get something to drink. Want some apple juice?"

She nodded.

I walked into the kitchen with Molly still hanging on my legs, and regretted instantly coming in here. I would turn back around and leave without them noticing me but I told Molly I'd get her some juice. Logan and Becca were sitting on the chairs around the island.

"Great! Hayley, you're here. I was just telling Logan that he should grow his hair out a little longer! What do you think?"

I looked at his hair, at his eyes, then at his lips and blushed at the thought of me kissing him again. "Uh, yeah I think you should."