Chapter Eleven

When I woke up this morning I had made the decision of going over to visit Shawn and the rest of the Harper family. I made sure to wake up early enough to take a shower, get dressed, and still have enough time to visit them.

"And where do you think you're going?" mom asked. My whole plan was to slip out unnoticed but that didn't work.

"I was going to go visit Carrie's family."

"Okay just don't be back to late."

I nodded and ran out the door. I took my time walking to Carrie's house, I was in no hurry to be back there again. Awhile later I was standing in front of her door, hesitant to knock right away. Right away Mrs.Harper answered the door and hugged me.

"I'm so glad you're here,"she whispered into my hair. Her voice was low and hard for me to hear but I caught her words.

"Thought I'd forget about you?"

"Sort of,"she said grabbing both my hands in her's.

"Never."

She opened the door wider and stepped aside to let me in. "Want anything to drink or eat?"

"No thank you. How are you doing?"

"Okay I guess. You?"

I let out a deep breath "Same.''

"So I got an invite to your mom's wedding."

My mom had already sent out the invitations? Why am I even surprised, all my mom did was talk about the wedding, don't get me wrong I'm excited and happy for her but there's only so much I could take.

"Is Shawn here?"

She pointed upstairs, "He's in his room. You can go on up."

I walk up the stairs to Shawn's room and I paused in front of Carrie's door. I had totally forgotten that in order to get to Shawn's room I had to pass Carrie's. I pushed open her door and took a peek inside. It was the same as it always was. Red colored walls, the old queen sized bed in the middle of the room and the desk to the right next to the window that she would always sneak out of at night to go to a party.  

I stepped into the room and made sure to close the door quietly, I didn't want anyone to know I was in here. I remembered what those girls had said about Carrie being a druggie. I knew it wasn't true and that they were just lying but I wanted to check her room to make sure I didn't find anything. Plus, I think I left my jacket here.

The first place I looked at was her dresser. I rummaged through each and every drawer. I sighed when I had found nothing but what was I expecting to find? I knew Carrie didn't do drugs, and if she did she would've told me. Wouldn't she?

I looked through her closet and found nothing, I even looked under the bed and still found nothing. Then I noticed the old Chinese jewelry box sitting on the vanity. I haven't looked through there yet. I silently laughed to myself when I pulled out the best friend necklace I had given to her in third grade.

I kept digging around in the box and tried to be quiet as possible which was hard to do with all the silver and gold rings clashing together. I swear this girl had more ring's than a jewelry store.

Again I sighed at not finding anything. I guess I was right. Inside at the corner I noticed a piece of paper sticking out. I tried to pull it out, but it was stuck and I didn't want to pull to hard and risk the chance of ripping it. I shook the box hoping something would happen but nothing did.

There was a think ribbon next to the piece of paper and I pulled on it. The bottom of the jewelry box lifted up revealing a secret compartment containing a small envelope. That was easy. I rolled my eyes at my stupidness.