Chapter Thirty-Eight

Regina inhaled sharply as she walked into the Diner, hand in hand with Emma first thing Monday morning, her nerves rumbling through her despite Emma's surging confidence. As soon as the door shut behind them, Regina looked over the busy Diner and not one single person looked their way. Emma led her over to the booth near the back and only then did they let go of each other's hands and slipped off their jackets and sat down across from each other.

"Good morning, Emma," Belle said cheerfully. "Madam Mayor. What can I get for you ladies this morning?"

"I'll have a coffee," Emma said and upon Regina's nod for the same, Emma continued, reaching across the table and intertwining her fingers with Regina's. "Do you have any specials today, Belle?"

"We have Eggs Benedict with a choice of bread, white, rye, whole wheat or an english muffin, topped with our own Hollandaise sauce."

"Yeah that sounds good. I'll have it on white," Emma grinned, giving Regina's hand a gentle squeeze. "Can I get a couple pieces of bacon with that, Belle?"

"Of course," she wrote the order down and Regina didn't miss her eyes lingering on their joined hands for a second before she turned to her with a smile. "What can I get you this morning, Madam Mayor?"

"My usual please, Belle."

"Of course, I'll be right back with your coffee."

"What is your usual? You didn't have a usual over the summer?" Emma asked and Regina smiled softly. "Did you?"

"Not as such, but I've taken a taste to the fresh oatmeal they only serve in the winter months. It's topped with cinnamon and diced apples."

"Isn't oatmeal kind of boring?"

"Not when it's done right, dear."

Emma squeezed her hand gently, pulling her eyes that were cast downwards on the table up to meet hers. "Regina, are you okay?" Emma asked softly, her voice quiet under the din that filled the Diner. "You look...pale."

"I don't know if I can handle this, Emma."

"Nobody has even remotely come close to looking over at us," Emma said, her voice still quiet as she leaned forward a little. "Nobody cares that I'm holding your hand and I'm pretty sure nobody would care if I leaned over and kissed you right now either."

"Don't you dare."

"What happened to the Regina at the Rabbit Hole?" Emma asked and she snatched her hand back. "What happened to the Regina that let me kiss her there in the bar and slide my hand up her skirt and fu—"

"That's enough," Regina hissed and she saw the anger flaring in Emma's eyes, likely mirroring her own in that moment. "Everything is different now than it was then, Emma."

"You're right, everything is different, Regina. We're together now, openly together and we're engaged. It's no secret to anyone in this town that we are, especially not after your mother walked in on us!"

Regina fumed and yet she stayed silent. Emma was right, she was so completely right that she couldn't argue that fact with her. She had to stop herself from feeling this way, especially since it was so very different when they weren't in Storybrooke. When Emma started to slide out of the seat, Regina reached out to stop her.

"Let's just go then."

"Emma..." Regina was trying, she was trying so hard and the very last thing she wanted was another fight with Emma in less than a week. "Please stay? We've already ordered," she said quietly, her hand on Emma's elbow moving to slide into her left hand.