chapter 13 - caught and finding the truth

The phone rings i run to it 'hello' i say, hi Laycee its officer walker we have good news we found the car and the man he is now in our custody. That great news have anything been said from his side and can you give me his name. No sorry Laycee you must come down to the station and i can tell you more its better in person, OK i will be down within the hour. Matthew we need to get ready we need to be down the station within the hour they have found the man and got him locked up. That great news we should get down there to get this sorted and we can put this to rest.

we get to the station and i cant seem to pull myself out of the car, am sat there frozen my mind telling me you need to do this but my heart says can you do this. Matthew holds my hand and tells me 'am here forever and always we will get through this it will be tough be we get through the other side and enjoy of future and our baby.' OK i pull myself together get out and go into the station Matthew asks for C.I.D officer walker, the man called through he will be with you in a moment. We sit and wait i feel nerves i want to throw up, at the same time i don't want to move. What seemed like ages officer walker came through the thick blue steel door and called us through, can you just wait here a few minutes i have one more thing to do then i will be with you.

We wait and the anticipation is building inside of me i start to pace the room back and forth, Matthew asks me to 'calm down he will be here soon and will get to the bottom of this.' OK i sit holding Matthews hand wanting to cry so hard, but nothing seems to want to fall my eyes. Then officer walker came into the room sorry for been so long, OK now we can tell you what we know up to now. OK here we go....

Name: Bob Joseph Campbell.

age: 45

lives: county Durham.

His statement: in his words - When i drove down the street remembering where i grew up and started my family i saw this child no older than 4-5 years old, and to my horror she looks so much like the daughter i had lost at the same age. i thought my mind was playing tricks on me, so i stopped the car and looked at her i said 'Lucy is that you' and as the little girl looked up at me no am Laycee, i offered her some sweets and asked her to call me 'uncle bob.' But when she refused i got angry still thinking it was my little girl and threw what i thought was pop in her face, i drove straight off not realizing it had acid in. Because i was returning it to a friend who left it in my car, But he had sadly passed a few years back. And i had seen her in a newspaper for her work and remembered her name, when i seen her i cried so hard that i had done this to a little girl. So when i found where she lived i wanted to explain myself and apologize for what i had done, i know i could not make it up to her but i wanted her to see how sorry i was and it was never meant to happen. I have considered killing myself over it, and tried a few times but someone found me and got me to hospital. There was no way to get away from it apart from stand up to what i had done to this child's life and future. I have no one left in my life and i know i will get sent down for this, its what i deserve and am ready to pay for what i have to this the now young lady. All i want her (Laycee) to know is that am very sorry for what i done, and all you have suffered all because of what i lost. I hope you can forgive me but if not i don't blame you SORRY.

signed B.Campbell

OK now since you have read this do you want to see him are leave him be, well am sorry but i can't face him i have suffered so much now my life is coming together am getting married we are having a baby i only want to concentrate on that. So i know this might sound mean but you can lock him up and throw away the key. Officer walker 'OK before this is done you need to do a line up, but don't worry they cant see you and all you have to do is pick a number then you can leave.' We can keep you up to date from then on since he has confessed you wont need to go to court, that one less thing i need to worry about. It would be to stressful for me to sit in the same room as him and have to look at him and feel like i want to hurt him so bad. But this is the right thing to do now i can live my life enjoy my future, not have to worry its me Matthew and our unborn baby first. That great Laycee now come with me and into this room please, take a seat now four men will come and stand in a line with numbers from 1-4 just write down or say it to me. So the men line up and straight away i know which one he was, he had never really changed just got older some grey in his hair and rough facial hair  i looked into his eyes and yes i could see he was sorry i could feel his sorrow pushing through me but this had to be done he had to get what he deserved. It its number 3 i remember that face so much more now he ain't changed, now can i go please i can't look any longer. I want Matthew! I rush out the door hugged Matthew i want to go home its all over now we can live our life and enjoy our future. OK my lovely let get outta here.