chapter 16 - planning the wedding

a few days had past and i sat on the computer and looking at wedding dresses thinking we could start to plan the wedding, so i print off a wedding planning check list to do it properly......

Sixteen to Nine Months Before

Start a wedding folder or binder.

Begin leafing through bridal, lifestyle, fashion, gardening, design, and food magazines for inspiration.

Work out your budget.

Determine how much you have to spend, based on your families' contributions and your own.

Pick your wedding party.

As soon as you're engaged, people will start wondering who's in.

Start the guest list.

Make a head count database to use throughout your planning process, with columns for contact info, RSVPs, gifts, and any other relevant information. (Want to keep costs low? It may be brutal, but the best way to do it is to reduce your guest list.)

Hire a planner, if desired.

A planner will have relationships with—and insights about—vendors.

Reserve your date and venues.

Decide whether to have separate locations for the ceremony and the reception, factoring in travel time between the two places.

Book your officiant.

Research photographers, bands, florists, and caterers.

Keep their contact information in your binder.

Throw an engagement party, if you wish.

But remember that your invitees should be on your wedding guest list as well.

Eight Months Before

Hire the photographer and the videographer.

No need to talk specifics yet, but be sure that the people you hire are open to doing the shots that you want.

Book the entertainment.

Attend gigs of potential acts to see how they perform in front of audiences, then reserve your favorite.

Meet caterers.

If your wedding venue doesn't offer its own catering service, look for one now and hire the service this month or early next.

Purchase a dress.

You'll need to schedule time for at least three fittings. Veil shopping can be postponed for another two to three months.

Reserve a block of hotel rooms for out-of-town guests.

Pick three hotels at different price points close to the reception venue.

Register.

Sign up at a minimum of three retailers.

Launch a wedding website.

Create your personal page through a free provider such as weddingchannel.com. Note the date of the wedding, travel information, and accommodations. Then send the link to invitees.

Seven to Six Months Before

Select and purchase invitations.

Hire a calligrapher, if desired. Addressing cards is time-consuming, so you need to budget accordingly.

Start planning a honeymoon.

Make sure that your passports are up-to-date, and schedule doctors' appointments for any shots you may need.