Welcomings

My father hoisted my tiny body into the wagon and held out a hand to help my mother get in. He then took the reigns and we were off! I played with my doll for a bit and soon grew very bored and very restless. However, my father would not allow me to get out of the wagon. I shot him a look of annoyance and he grinned a little at the sight of my face. "I must say, my dear. You were born with a witty attitude. I can't imagine where you got that from." He raised a mocking eyebrow to mama and sniggered. She only laughed because she knew what he was implying was true. "I would have you two no other way." He smiled and grabbed my mothers hand and kissed it. She smiled widely and kissed his cheek.

After what seemed like an eternity in that stupid wagon, we had finally reached the front gate. I was in awe at the sight. I stared, mouth agape and all. There was no way to hide my amazement. It was the most extravagant thing my young eyes had ever seen.

Papa was speaking with someone and I was still in the back of the wagon, gawking at everything around me. "Darling?" I looked up and my father motioned for me to come forward. He grabbed me and sat me on his knee. I looked down to see two rather old-looking dwarves. Both grey haired, though one still had touches of black in his. I studied them for a moment and I notice they dressed magnificently. They were royalty. "Hello, sweet child!" said the older dwarf. I smiled a bright smile and both majestic dwarves smiled back. "I am King Thror and this is my son Thrain!" They both bowed to me and I continued to grin. I had never seen royalty or seen people bow to one another. "And who might you be, darling?"

"My name is Roslina!" I said whilst blushing.

"What a beautiful name to match a beautiful little girl!" Thrain said to me.

"A beautiful child, indeed! Where did you come by such beauty?" Thror smiled to me.

I shot a wide eyed look toward my parents and cocked an eyebrow and looked back to Thror and smiled. He and Thrain both burst with laughter. "A funny little lass too, I see! I shall enjoy your company!"

Thrain and Thror returned speaking to my father. "Once you all are settled, dinner will be served and you can get more acquainted with everyone." He looked and me again, took my hand and smiled. "I hope to see this darling little one later as well!" And with a wink, he retreated back into his kingdom. So far, I was more than happy to be here. Everyone was very cheerful and nice.

But suddenly I had remembered what my father had told me about the King's greed and after meeting him, I almost didn't believe my father. But those matters were far too mature for a six year olds mind to comprehend.

We finally got settled into our rooms. Mine was right next to my parents. My new room was huge in comparison to my old one. It was huge in comparison to my whole house to be honest. It had pillars and smooth stony walls and floors. I even had a fireplace all to myself. I had a wardrobe full of dresses and shoes! I felt like a princess!

"Roslina!" it was my mother, "Time for a bath! We have to start getting ready for dinner!" My mother had to help me with washing my hair. I was deathly afraid of the water. I refused to put my head under. She used a cup to rinse my hair. And even that still frightened me. I had always been afraid of the water and had nightmares of falling into a pond and never emerging. It was terrifying to me.

Once I was dry, my mother combed and plaited my hair. She let my long dark brown wavy hair cascade down my back and plaited two braids on either side of my face and then pulled them back and braided them together in the back. It was simple enough for a child yet beautiful enough for a lady. After that, she pulled a dress from the wardrobe. I was white on the torso and pink at the skirt! It had floral patterns embellished on it. I loved it! My mother slipped it over my head and tied up the back. I was enchanted.

Father and mother linked arms and my mother grabbed my hand and we walk to dinner. There was more food than I had ever seen in my entire life. If you could name it, it was there!