Trolls

I awoke only a few hours later, it was still dark out. Thorin's coat was shielding me from the chill of the night. He had fallen asleep beside me, leaning with his back against a large rock. I started to move, then I felt his hand tighten around my waist. I had to make slow, careful movements. I did not want to wake him. He looked so peaceful when he was sleeping. Less serious and more like the boy I had known so long ago. I eased away from him, and placed his coat in his hand so he did not notice I was gone. I walked toward the dim fire. Dwalin was on watch while the others slept.

"You two seem quite cozy." He whispered to me with a slight grin.

"Stop it. It's nothing." I whispered back. It was a lie but I could not allow whatever was happening between Thorin and I get in the way of the task at hand. It seemed the best thing to do was pretend it did not phase me.

"It looks like something to me, Roslina."

"Well it isn't. So leave it alone." I hissed. There was a long silence and I stared at the low fire.

"You still love him, don't you?".

"Does it matter?" I sighed.

"Why wouldn't it?" Dwalin asked.

"In the end, after all this is over and done with, there is no guarantee that I will stay. I can't promise anyone anything. I do not want to hurt him anymore than I already have. The best thing I can do for him is put those feelings aside and bury them as deep as possible."

"Do really think that's the best thing?" He sighed.

"There is no other way, Dwalin. That protects both of us from anymore hurt." The truth is, I knew that it was wasn't what I wanted, but I didn't  see another option.

 "If you say so."

"I do. You can get some rest if you like. I don't think I'll be getting anymore sleep tonight." I told him and forced a little smile.

"Thank you." He smiled back and went over to his bedroll. He fell asleep almost instantly.

I was left alone with my thoughts for the remaining hours of darkness. I thought of our quest and how it would end. I thought of my life after the quest, where I would go next. Truthfully, I wanted to stay. Erebor was my home. But it held so many memories, both joyful and painful. Thorin and I could never be what we once were. What would be the point of staying? I walked back the edge of the cliff and let my short legs dangle over the side. The sun was just beginning to rise. The sky was a pale pink mixing with blue. It looked beautiful. I watched as the sun slowly began to rise on the horizon, birds began to sing and a few critters could be heard in the wood around us. The clouds proved that we would probably be traveling in the rain later. Then I heard a yawn and someone stirring behind me. "You're up early." Thorin said in a sleepy, husky voice.

"I've been awake for hours now." I did not turn to look at him. "I thought I would relieve Dwalin since I couldn't sleep." I stood up and started off toward the company. He started to say something but I cut him off quickly, "I will go wake the others. We've a long day ahead of us. It's going to rain later." I woke Bombur first and Thorin followed behind waking everyone else. We all prepared for the day's journey. Just as I had guessed, it began to rain around noon. After about an hour of light showers, the sky grew dark and the rain began to pour continuously. It was cold and dreary, not exactly a good omen either. I was soaked to the bone and shivering. The rest of the company suffered as well, they complained a great deal. I suffered in silence, except the chattering of my teeth.

"Here, Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Asked Nori.

"It is raining, Master Dwarf. And it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard." Replied Gandalf.