Chapter 1 - First Day

***First Day of School
***Bea's POV (Bea is pronounced like bee 🐝 )

Settling in Speech, I put my English and Chemistry notes in my binder so I could review them before the next morning. Why not have a couple of quizzes for the second day of school?

Sure. Why not?

I could already tell my senior year would be difficult, but I loved a challenge.

I made it through three years of high school with handwritten notes and homework, making it just before they would implement the online portal. I loved taking notes and having paper homework. My peers, on the other hand, were more than thrilled about the change.

The bell rang and Mr. Sullivan got our attention.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, even though this project is not due until finals week, don't put it off until the last minute. I can tell by the quality of your work if you scrambled to finish it the night before."

A few grumbled when he handed out the syllabus. I smiled, knowing I wouldn't be one of the procrastinators.

"You will be paired with your partner for the final presentation," he went on, walking back to his desk, "as I will draw two names from this hat."

A couple of minutes passed and my name still wasn't called. I didn't like the suspense or leaving it to chance. I just wanted to know who my partner was so I could gauge how much work I would have to do.

"Beatrice Sorrentino and-"

And who? And who?

Mr. Sullivan dipped his hand back into the hat.

I waited impatiently.

"-and Harry Styles."

Dang it.

I would do most, if not all of the work. No doubt.

"Ha ha!" Victor pointed over at me, "Harry gets Poindexter."

Laughter erupted in the classroom, spurred on by Victor's extremely original nickname for me.

"The first day of school," Mr. Sullivan handed him a detention slip, "a new record, Mr. Ulrich. PSA, people, there is zero tolerance for bullying in my classroom and the school."

I avoided looking over at Victor but I caught him glare at me. He wadded the paper and tossed it in his backpack like it didn't affect him.

Thank God the lunch bell rang.

I walked out of the classroom avoiding Victor and practically everyone else.

I was embarrassed.

But it was a beautiful day to eat outside. My table for the past three years was perfect. There was a huge oak tree that covered it just enough to not let the sun boil me.

The seat across from me was empty since my best friend, Elena, moved during the Summer. Her dad got a better job in Manhattan and it tore my heart out when I said goodbye to her.

I took a bite of my first turkey and cheese cracker sandwich and noticed our regular groups formed, back in action. I twiddled with my necklace as I scanned the courtyard.

The Science Fiction Club reconvened around their table in the common area, showing off their latest action figures.

May the force be with them.

The preppy and limber cheerleaders were practicing their moves by the gym.

My legs would snap off!