9

Ana debated on "missing" the early train into Gary on Easter Sunday.

It was the only day that her Nona actually made everyone else come to church with her, but it was still far too early for Ana.

She had to be at work at five every morning, so Saturday and Sunday she savored being able to sleep past six.

She somehow managed to find an appropriate outfit and managed to get a cab to the train station while still half asleep.

She thought about waking Benny up to take her so she didn't have to suffer being awake alone, but decided against it.

***
She walked behind Ellie and Danny following the massive group heading into the church.

"Hey city girl!" She looked around the group trying to figure out who was calling out into who they were calling.

But then she spotted him, sitting on the tail gate of the blacked out pick up smoking a cigarette.

A smile spread on her face as she saw him smiling at her

A smile spread on her face as she saw him smiling at her. The bright blue eyes and blonde hair, still scruffy as ever.

"Jeff!" She called running to him.

He hopped off the truck just in time to twirl her around while she clung to him.

"I've missed you! What are you doing her?"

"I made the mistake of answering the phone when your grandmother called," he joked exhaling the smoke. "She convinced me to come before I took Lenny over to my parents."

Ana threw her head back and laughed. She missed Jeff, after the divorce she had only seen him a handful of times over the last few years.

"So what's knew? Your sister said you moved to the city and got yourself some boyfriend. I'm not gonna have to kick his ass am I?"

"Don't swear at church!" She scolded playfully smacking his arm. "You don't have to worry about Benny, he's harmless. If anything I'll be the one to screw it all up."

"Naw, you'll be fine. Can you keep a secret? Nobody knows yet, not even your sister."

"Well, now you have to tell me!" She smirked waiting for the gossip.

"Kathy's pregnant. It's only eight weeks, but I'm so excited. We're telling your sister tonight."

"Congratulations! That's great." She said. She was happy for him, it was nice seeing him so excited about becoming a dad again.

But it made her wish that her dad had been that excited all those years ago, but really I suppose any high school student wouldn't exactly be thrilled about becoming a parent before they even go to prom.

"Hey, did my mom ever mention my dad to you?"

"Not really, his name was Mike Murray. The last she had heard about him he had gone off to LA or something, he wanted to be a musician I guess. She didn't really talk about him. Why?"