The hero cries in this scene

"What?" Jake replied, surprisingly calmly. 

"I didn't mean that" I whispered, still shocked by my own confession.

Was it true? Even I didn't know. Jake's face was crumpled in confusion and sadness but he didn't speak. 

"We kissed" I said, trying vainly I keep my voice from breaking.

"You kissed her?" He asked quietly as I saw the tears start to spill over.

"She kissed me" I said "I told her I had to leave" 

Jake stood, still calm, and collected his clothes from the drawers. He was still not completely dry but he pulled them on.

"I'm going out" he said, his voice breaking. He'd just made it out of the door before I heard the sobs take over him. He kept walking and I couldn't hear him at all after about two minutes of listening. 

I turned into my pillow and cried.

*

"Jenny" I said emotionlessly when she answered the door. 

"Hi" she smiled, clearly not picking up on my serious tone. 

"We need to talk" I said trying to make my intentions clear.

"Sure" she agreed gesturing towards the sofa.

When we were both sat I started to speak.

"Do you remember what happened last night?" I asked.

"Enough" she said. She placed her hand onto the sofa beside her as a hint that I could take it. I pulled mine up and connected them in my lap. 

"Look Jenny" I started. She shuffled closer to me so our legs were touching. 

"I missed you" she repeated. Absentmindedly playing with my shirt. 

"I'm with someone now Jen" I got in while I had the chance. "I'm happy"

"We could be happy" she said.

"Jenny" I sighed. "I'm not saying that in another situation I wouldn't just jump straight back into this and take you back, because I would. But nothing's changed."

I sighed again. She was looking the floor. I lifted her chin so her tear filled     eyes met mine. 

"Leaving you was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life." I told her.  "I can't do that again" 

"You don-" she started but I stopped her.

"You have to understand, we can never be more than friends" 

The tears and sadness where still there but now accompanied by a look of understanding.

"Goodbye" I whispered. 

"Goodbye" she replied. She hugged me tightly. "Don't be a stranger" she whispered into my ear. 

"Friends?" I asked pulling away to look her in the eye again. 

She nodded.