Tonight I'm leaving

sorry that this chapter is so similar to the last one just trying to get some good falshbacks in. big surprise in store next chapter i promise!

We had been staying at the house for a few days when Jake asked the question I'd been dreading. 

"What's in here?" He gestured to the bedroom opposite mine. 

"Spare room" I replied nonchalantly. It hurt to lie to him but I knew seeing what was inside would just hurt him even more. Everything was as she had left it. I had only moved a few hoodies that were still filled with her sweet scent. She had never come back to collect anything and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. 

He seemed satisfied with my explanation and didn't push me any further. 

"Breakfast?" He changed the subject and I nodded in agreement. He walked down the winding staircase leaving me alone to stare at the closed door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ready?" I asked again trying to navigate my way up the stairs and lead a blindfolded Jenny at the same time. 

"What are we doing?" She smiled. 

"You'll see" I replied grinning at her only to realise she couldn't see me. I opened the door to the guest bedroom that I had spent all weekend converting into her decoy room.

"Surprise" I smiled removing her blindfold. She was speechless. 

"How did y-" she stopped, taking in my work.

"Thank you" she smiled at me almost tearing up. 

"Dot get soppy on me" I teased. She hugged me tightly. 

"I love you" she whispered and I was caught off guard for a moment. 

"I- I love you too" I spluttered out before wrapping my arms around her middle and returning her hug. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

I shook my head sharply trying to rid myself of the memory. I had to stop living in the past. Being back at the old house was making it worse. After breakfast I offered my solution. 

"The airport is ages away" I stated. "There's a hotel not far from it; we could go there before we fly" 

"Yeah, we could do that" he seemed uninterested. 

"I've already got my stuff together" I reminded him. 

"You want to go to New York right away?" He seemed more excited now. 

"That would be good" I smiled back. 

"Sure" he grinned. "As soon as you want" 

"How about tonight?" I asked and we were booking the flights.