V | Starstruck

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvellous." – Aristotle

Note: Special thanks to CoderBee22 for the cover featured above!

Date: April 22nd, 2017

Occasion: Earth Day

Country: Worldwide

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

V | Starstruck

Stargazing has never been my thing.

To be honest, astronomy in general had never struck a resonant chord with me. Some say stars in the eyes resemble harmonious harp strums to the ears, a stroke of warm pleasure over senses. I guess the Angels of Celestial Wonders overlooked me in their quest to convert the rest of mankind into mini Galileos. But the twinkle of iridescent space particles in the sky had never captured my interest, and I don't think it ever will.

So, the concept of Earth Day had also never struck much of a chord with me either, which was rather problematic when you consider the next few events of April 22nd. The daytime, thankfully, had passed as per usual. Cars honking by in their usual obnoxious fashion, students desperately attempting to grasp the remainder of their health and social life they are overwhelmed in a flood of near-impossible examinations and dreadful misery. Not that that was anything new, it always came with being a high school student.

But the moment my toe exceeded the lining of the doorstep in the cozy hideout of where I worked, I had discovered that every electrical appliance had been shut off, rendering life necessities like our gigantic freezer, completely useless. The power outlets were now harmless, for if anyone tried to stick their finger in the socket for fun, which no one should ever do, by the way. Who'd want to die with an electricity-induced afro?

The first actualisation that people were serious about this day, was when I was trying to make my fantasies of strawberry sorbet come to a reality. Yanking open the freezer door and expecting to meet the usual chill that soothed the roasting of a scorching Spring day, all I got instead was room temperature yogurt and melted ice cream.

"Melanie!" I hollered, having always been the bold one that dared to speak, let alone shout, to our boss in such a casual manner.

As though by magic, she popped up in front of me immediately, scaring me out of my ripped jeans. I mean, it was boiling hot today, but that wasn't going to stop me from wearing my favourite pair of jeans!

"What?" my boss snapped.

I tugged out the strawberry sorbet and showed her the slushy contents within. "For an ice cream shop, our services are pathetic."

Melanie shook her head, bun perfectly intact. I needed to borrow whatever hairspray she used, because my own fiery locks were an outright mess. "Waffle Cones is officially closed for Earth Day, since, as you can see," she gestured to the strawberry slush I was still holding. "We can't operate without the freezers."

I blinked. "Wait, today is Earth Day?

I rushed over to the ice cream themed calendar on the nearest wall, and caught sight of the tiny letters printed below April 22nd. Melanie's stiff expression cracked a tiny bit as she got a high definition view of my bewildered face. "Today is Earth Day," she confirmed.