VIII | Love, Poppy

"We remember and thank all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and country on this ANZAC day."  – Unknown

Date: April 25th, 2017

Occasion: ANZAC Day

Countries: Australia and New Zealand

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

VIII | Love, Poppy

April 20th, 5:00 pm

Dear Greyson,

Well, it's been a century since Gallipoli, aye? I didn't even exist at the time, but I still feel all the pain and sorrow as if I was there, on that day, with those dying soldiers. Actually, that may be heartburn from eating too many wicked wings from KFC, but I'm trying to make this letter heartfelt, so shut your face.

So, you're on a flight to New Zealand to visit your great grandfather, and I'm sitting here alone, writing you a letter. Funny how that was the exact opposite last year huh, when my grandma passed? You spent the entire week trying to cheer me up by making me do the Macarena and wear a purple feather boa while screaming the lyrics to the entire Divide album by Ed Sheeran. That's why I love you.

But I can't be there with you right now. Not when it's meant to be just you and your great-grandpapa. I know I'm some hella fine company, but the reason I refused to go with you is because you need to accept his death. You keep pushing it away, you know, pretending that he doesn't exist. Maybe he's Casper the Friendly Ghost. I never watched that show, I was always more of a Powerpuff Girls and Kim Possible kind of person.

Either way, you and him need to chat. Not literally though. Imagine chatting to a smiling grandpapa skeleton wielding a shotgun? I would rather do the Macarena with Kim Jong Un than see that. Anyway, his service to Aussie and them bros in New Zealand needs to be acknowledged, Greyson, and I'm sure he'd appreciate it from his own son of all people. Show him your love, mate, or I'll slap you in the face with a cactus.

Love,
Poppy

April 21st, 7:35 am

Dear Greyson,

What up, day two without the Grayson-and-Poppy duo! I know you're only a two hour flight away, but when you're someone who gets dizzy while shaking your hair dry, airplanes aren't exactly an option. How's New Zealand for you? I've never been, so I don't know what it's like there. Do they have kiwi birds running all over the place? Aw, imagine tiny plump birds with their stubby little legs, scurrying around on the footpath! So cute.

The landscapes there too, I've heard that they're beautiful. As long as Gaia doesn't go nuts and swallow you up, you're good. Take some nice pictures for me, and make sure to bloody well visit the place where they filmed The Hobbit. Do Kiwis live in hobbit holes? I asked one of them that question and they accidentally spilled their nachos all over my shirt five minutes later, which wasn't exactly an answer. You reckon they were offended?

On another note, Aussie's still pretty great. People have started pinning those fake poppies to their shirt that you buy for a few gold coins, I forget. In a strange way, I find this time of year hilarious. Did I ever tell you why? Well, I'm telling you anyway. Since my name's Poppy, every time I tell anyone my name, they freak out. I think there's some kind of stigma around the flower at this time.