Chapter18: Truth revealed?

A/n: (edited and rewritten) Thanks for reading angels! Please consider giving it a vote if you like this part.

I went to Jonathan Crane's office after the meet of the Joker in dungeon a moment ago. I asked the guard whom guarding the cell of the clown, why the Joker himself brought into the said place.

"Doctor Williams, he tackled Doctor Crane, and the Joker attempted to kill him by choking his throat." said the guard.

With that, I immediately drifted along the pathway to his office, thinking, I should ask him few questions about the Joker because he seemed to know something about the antic, and why the clown tackled him all of a sudden.

"What brings you here, Doctor?" he said.

I cleared my throat, standing next to him across his work table, "Let's talk about the Joker. . . mind to tell me what happened between you?"

"Oh is that so?" He stood from sitting then he stepped toward me. "He almost killed me."

"Why?" I asked.

"Nothing. actually," he uttered, "I talked to him about what had just happened between us days ago and just because he's crazy, he tackled me."

"And by smacking him? How can you explain that?" I said as I gazed upon his face which was filled with some guilt.

Crane smiled innocently then he started walking toward the window, "Hayley. . . Joker and I - were best friends before."

My eyes grew wider after hearing those words. So it meant, the story which had told by the Joker was them? who lost his esteem?

"Joker - before he became like that, we were friends of friends - not knowing that he had mental disorder." Crane said, still facing the window.

I gulped as I listened to his story. Was it real?

"But then, we both grew some feelings for the same woman - that woman was stole by me. . . I should be the one, but Joker or should I say, Jack - betrayed me."

Wait . . . "Joker's name is J-Jack?" I asked with a slight furrow on my brow. Curiosity was attacking me.

"Yes. . . they'd married each other and blessed a little girl, guess what happened then."

"T-Tell me, please. . ."

"He killed 'em." Crane answered with a sadness in his voice. He turned toward me with his gloomy face.

I slowly covered my mouth after he said the words; realizing that I already had tears in my eyes.

Jonathan walked closer and stopped little inch away from me, "That's why I hated him!"

Shaking my head, I pulled out a deep breath before speaking, "W-why he did that?"

"I told you, he had been experiencing severe depression. He killed his wife by slitting her throat and the child - he hung her on the big tree behind their old home before."

My knees almost lost its strength. I couldn't believe that. . . Joker was a real monster, wasn't he? I shook my head and covered my face in my palms as I started crying, muffling my sob.

"So please, if you care for him. . ." Crane exclaimed when he placed his both hands on my shoulders. "Don't feel any sympathy for him, Hayley. Joker is a dangerous man, he wasn't the old friend I had known for so long."

What about the sudden emotion? The sadness in his voice? The sorrow in his eyes? Was it all his act?

"H-How can I believe you?" I said as I putting slowly my hands off my face, "I have seen some emotions - in his eyes. Was it really done by him?"

Crane went behind me and from there, he held me on my shoulders again, "The Clown is psycho Hayley. . . of course, the bipolar mood will always be there. the changes of his behaviour will never leave him, unless he was guilty about it." he said to my ears.

Do you know what is the feeling of being imprisoned by your own mind?

You left me in a black hole of rage and confusion.

Part of me, didn't want to believe, but the other part wanted to believe. I stepped inches away and turned around toward him, "Thanks for your info." I said when I wiped my tears away, "But about the dungeon, can you please let him out? we need to have a proper session."

"Give me a favour then." Crane replied with a little sarcastic smile.

I furrow my brow, looking at him steadily. "Favour?"

"Go on a date with me."

"What?!"

"You heard me," he uttered.

I rolled my eyes with a slight sigh from my throat, then barely scratch my temple and said, "Fine. but promise me to take him out there. I do care about my patient - as his doctor, and please don't think any malicious from asking you about it."

"Good to hear that."

--

I exited Crane's office and went to the Joker's. When I opened the door, the clown was just looking at me sternly.

"Jack . . ." I began, still standing at the closed door. His eyes grew wider when I mentioned his real name.

"H-how. . . who's that?" He grinned widely, pretending that he didn't know.

I scanned his face, realizing that tears were starting to form in every corners of my eyes. Poor man. . .

My eyes were worriedly gazing upon his situation as I remembered what Jonathan had spoken about him. I heaved a sigh then I pulled a chair and sat down on it.

"Your name. . . is Jack, isn't it?"

"No, I don't know him." he replied, looking away to avoid my eyes.

"You killed your family," I exclaimed, "Slitting your wife's throat - by hanging your own child on a tree."

Jack slowly turned his head toward me with a wide eyes, looking at me confusingly, "W-what have you said?"

"I had been talking with Crane before I came here and he told me about you."

"You believe him?" Joker said with gritted teeth, "He's crazy!"

I rested my head on my palms and said, "I-I don't know."

"How could you do this to me, Hayley?"

Slowly, I lifted my head and my eyes met his; he was staring at me with wretched gaze until it became fury. Joker was cackling insanely, uncontrollably as if I made a funny joke - he looked at the ceiling by tilting his head back.

I felt anger but at the same time, I wanted to understand this sick man. He was laughing, but he's not happy.

"Joker. . ." I mumbled.

While the clown was laughing, ignoring my presence, I stood up and went to his direction; hugging him by wrapping my arms around his head which made him interrupted.

"I - I don't understand anything, but I'm trying. . ." I exclaimed, rubbing his head. "You know, we can't change the past, but we can do something in the future."

"Hayley. . ." he whispered in a husky voice between my arms.

I was waiting for his next words, but nothing came out from his mouth.