Chapter 15

He takes me up to the spotters stands.

"I come up here at every racetrack. this is where I come to think about my race next day. Every single track I go to, I find the spotters stands." he says taking in a deep breath

it's beautiful up here. You can see the beautiful Tennessee mountains and the amazing sunset. I would never leave this spot if I didn't have to.

"It's amazing up here" I say sitting down on a bench

"I'm sure you bring all the girls up here" I say jokingly

"Actually, you're the first girl I've ever brought up here" he said proudly

I stay silent. I love how he trusts me.

My phone starts going off but I ignore it. It rang again, again I decline it not recognizing the number.
It rings again, so I answer it this time.

(A/n I'd suggest listening to the song starting here)

"Hello?" I ask not knowing who it is

"Hello, Ms. Morris?" I heard an unfamiliar voice say

"This is she" I reply

"Miss I'm sorry to tell you this, but your grandfather has been in an awful accident. I'm sorry Miss, but he didn't make it" she said.

I could tell she didn't wanna say this. Who would want to?

She hung up quickly after.

I just stare out into the sunset, emotionless, not knowing to do, think, say, or feel.
I've lost the one person that I'm extremely close to.
Tears start falling down my face.

"Hey, what's wrong? what happened? John Hunter asked concerned

"My grandpa. He got into a car accident and he didn't make it" I said in between sobs

John brings me into a hug immediately and doesn't let go

"I'm so sorry" I heard him whisper

I can't believe he's gone. How am I gonna say goodbye to the last person that's known me all my life?

John Hunter flies back with me even though I told him to stay. He's gonna miss his race tomorrow and it's gonna be because of me. I want him here with me but he needs to be with his team, but he won't listen to me.

They have me come into the hospital and identify his body. I didn't wanna do this alone but I made John Hunter stay in the waiting room.

They uncover the lifeless body in front of me. He was almost unrecognizable.

After I sign papers saying he's my grandpa, I go and sit with his body for a couple minutes.

"I know you can't hear me, but I'm sorry I wasn't home. I'm gonna miss you making me breakfast in the mornings. I'm gonna miss you giving me a big bear hug every morning and night. I'm gonna miss you saying 'How you doing today, Hun?' after every day at work. I'm gonna miss your random bursts of inappropriate jokes, even though they were horrible. I'm gonna miss you very much. I already do miss you" I gave him one last look and walked away.

I went out to the waiting room and John Hunter engulfed me in a hug.
Where will I even live now? I'm only 17, I can't live by myself. I don't wanna go to a foster home. What am I gonna do now? all these thoughts invaded my mind.

I don't know what to do or where to go

______________________
I know this is a very sad chapter I'm sorry
it almost made me cry while writing it 😭