Good Night?

This place is bigger than I thought.

 I lost track of time and there didn’t seem to be a clock anywhere. I was trying to retrace my steps to find my damn room. My feet began to hurt from the heels so I decided to take them off. The thick rugs felt comfortable under my feet.

 It felt like ages of just walking around until I didn't care anymore. I was too captivated by the rest of this place. That was until I heard voices coming from a room nearby. I pressed my ear against the door and heard the voices of David and Josh.

 “Give her time,” Josh persisted.

“She should be grateful! I saved her from those men!”

“And you also took her away from her family.”

Silence.

At least someone understands.

“David I’m your friend, I don’t have to be here, but I am. That’s because I care about you. I know it’s been hard, but just try. You’ve changed since the curse.”

Ah ha! I knew it!

“I don’t know.”

“Go to her room and apologize. She’s been through a lot of hell. Now go.”

When I heard footsteps coming closer I made a run for it. No way was I about to get caught eavesdropping. I continued running and didn’t bother looking back.

 I need to get back in my room before he does.

 But instead of finding it, I came across two large wooden doors. I hoped it would lead me closer to my room, and boy was I wrong! When I opened and shut one door, I ended up in the largest library I've ever seen. This put any book stores to shame. I quickly walked around, familiarizing myself with my surroundings. A staircase led to two floors of paths above my head, along with an even larger selection of books. This is it. I've found Heaven in Hell.

 He’s probably in my room already. No use rushing there now. 

It was like a tiny devil talking on my shoulder. I knew I should've gone back, but the books! What looked to be thousands upon thousands! I walked over to a section labeled 'Classic Literature'. Wrapping my hands around The Phantom of The Opera, I let its worn pages take me away.

Maybe a few chapters wouldn't hurt.

 ***********

The moon had been clearly visible in the sky for a while now. I found it odd how no noise could be heard. I was so used to the sound of a house settling, but this one seemed settled enough. After a few moments of gathering my thoughts and wits, I exited the library.

The lights were still dim in the hallways, but thankfully I didn't stub my toe. Eventually, I somehow made it into the kitchen. The moment I entered, everyone’s conversation died out and focused their attention on me.

“Um hi. Can someone tell me where my room is? I’m kinda lost.”

A short woman with brown hair spoke. Linda. “You’ve been lost here this entire time?”

“Well at first I was, but then I made it to the library and just stayed there. I got tired and tried making my way back but got lost again.”

“I’ll show you to your room, dear.”

Linda locked arms with me and led me out of the kitchen.

“I'm sorry about David's behavior. I honestly don't know what possessed him to do such a thing," she said sadly.