Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Severus looked at the scantily clad woman laying beside him and frowned. She was beautiful, there was no denying that. And the way she looked at him, talked to him, touched him, was enough to make him shake. But it all felt... wrong, somehow.

Florence was currently laying on her side on his bed, dressed only in her underwear, as she pouted falsely at him. Crawling closer, she nibbled her bottom lip absentmindedly as he continued to just stare at her.

"What? You're beginning to make me nervous." She murmured, bringing her leg up against his and causing goosebumps to crop up across his pale skin. He turned onto his back and gazed impassively at the ceiling, causing Florence to frown. She moved even closer, so close that he could feel her warm breath in his ear, and placed a hand on his bare chest. "Severus?" She whispered, reaching a hand up and tilting his face so she could look into his confused black eyes. "You're not having second thoughts, are you?" She accused rather angrily, sitting upright and glaring down at him. "Because if you are-"

"I'm not having second thoughts." He muttered, grabbing her wrists and staring pleadingly at her. Her eyes widened and glistened with excitement as she stradled his legs and placed both her hands either side of his head.

"Good," She breathed, lowering her head so that her mouth was beside his ear. He shivered as her kisses trailed from his earlobe and towards his mouth, reaching up to hold her gently around the waist.

"I hope you're not having second thoughts." He whispered rather breathlessly. Florence lifted her lips from his collar bone and laughed seductively.

"Me? No, I'm only getting started." She kissed him tenderly on the lips, pulling away only to giggle as his hands trailed up her back. He seemed to realise something and pulled Florence off him and to the side, laying her gently beside him on the rumpled black bed sheets. "What now?" She growled impatiently, sitting upright and glaring at him. This caused him to chuckle slightly.

"Shouldn't we wait?" He breathed and her scowl intensified.

"You didn't seem to want to wait when you dragged me in here and ripped my dress off." She hissed and he sat upright. Placing his hands on either side of her arms he looked her directly in the eye.

"What about the baby?" He whispered and Florence's scowl faded, to be replaced with a frown. Tears pricked her eyes and she couldn't quite bring herself to look at him. "Florence?" He furrowed his eyebrows and tilted her head so that she could look at him. "What is it? What's happened?"

"I-I... I'm so sorry..." She choked and Severus held her tightly to him.

"Why? What's wrong? Why are you sorry?" He murmured into her hair, and this only made her sob harder.

"I've had..." She swallowed loudly and blinked repeatedly, trying to disperse the tears. "I've had a miscarriage." Severus released her instantly and frowned. His lip curled with disgust as she clutched desperately at his chest.

"When?" He said in a quiet voice. And if anything this scared her more than when he shouted. His jaw was clenched tightly as he peeled off her hands. She looked away, not wanting him to see the tears pooling in her eyes. "WHEN?"

"After I was raped. When I was in the Infirmary." She muttered, still not looking up. She flinched when he made a sudden movement, half expecting him to hit her, but when nothing came she sighed with relief.

"And you didn't think to tell me that I had lost my child?" He hissed incredulously. Florence looked up, alarmed, and tried to put a hand on his arm. He looked at her with so much contempt she "No! No, you stay away from me!" He growled, shrugging off her hand. She retracted her arm and held it tightly to her chest as though she had been burned.