Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

"P-Pregnant?" He repeated, swallowing loudly before he spoke so that his voice sounded choked, almost forced.

"We're going to have a baby, Severus." She smiled softly and he frowned, trying to comprehend exactly what was happening.

"I'm a... I'm a father?" It was more of a statement than a question, and when Severus' eyes met Florence's she knew all that she needed to know. Her own widened as he looked away and took a big, shaky breath, trying to keep his composure. "And you're sure of this?" She nodded, feeling foolish because he clearly couldn't see her; he was too busy concentrating on his balled fists he was clenching in his lap. "Right..." He sighed distractedly and she frowned. 

Reaching out, she went to grab his hand, feeling tears prick her eyes when he pulled it quickly away and instead ran it through his hair, pained expression on his pale face. He stood up abruptly, chair slamming noisily on the floor as he stormed from the room, black cape billowing emphatically behind him. Florence gawped open-mouthed after him, tears beginning to stream down her cheeks as she pushed away her own chair and ran after his rapidly disappearing figure.

"Severus!" She sobbed, stumbling through the corridor and towards where he was standing in the doorway, a dark silhouette against the blinding backdrop of a sunlit summer’s day. She could barely see anything as she approached him, dead still with his fists pressed against his closed eyelids. She could hear his heavy breathing and became increasingly depressed, knowing exactly what he was going to do, even before he did it. "Please... please don't leave me Severus." She breathed, coming to stand behind him and placing a hand on his shoulder.

He spun round and fixed her with a fierce scowl, causing her to flinch and pull away, but not before his fingers closed tightly around her wrist. The majority of the students had come out into the hallway, watching with shameful fascination as Severus stared at Florence, face etched with anger. 

Dumbledore stood closest to the couple, knowing exactly how Severus was feeling because he could tell just by looking at his face. This man was confused beyond belief, and it was time for him to make his decision.

"Severus?" Florence held her breath, eyes darting uncertainly between his narrowed eyes, curled lips and tightly clenched fist. She watched as the first tear began to fall from his cheeks and he wiped it away quickly, features never softening. And then he did something she didn't expect at all.

With his arms wrapped securely around her waist, he leant down and kissed her eagerly on the lips. Her hands locked behind his head as she leant backwards slightly, leg wrapping around his waist as he held her almost in a dance like pose. She released her hands, one running through his hair whilst the other gripped him tightly by the shoulder. He pulled away breathlessly and somewhat reluctantly, dragging her upright with him as his arms were still around her waist.

They stared at each other for a moment and the sound of a lone clapper echoed through the hall. Dumbledore had tears in his eyes as he stepped forwards and hugged Florence tightly, murmuring softly in her ear and causing her to laugh. Eventually the rest of the students joined in before filing back into the hall, whispering excitedly amongst themselves as Dumbledore ushered them inside, shutting the door behind him. Not before winking mischievously at Florence who was already wrapped tightly around Severus.

"I thought you were mad at me." Florence whispered as he smirked at her, forehead resting against hers as he pressed a soft kiss on her nose.

"I couldn't ever be mad at you." He purred, scooping her up into his arms as she giggled girlishly and grasped her arms behind his neck, leaning heavily into his chest as he carried her towards their room.