But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 2

“Oh my lanta!” I half screeched, my hand fluttering to my stomach, cradling it strangely as the pain swept over me; I curled up in a tight ball on the ground, my arms circling my belly as it quivered with stabs of pain running all down it from the inside. My breathing was heavy, and I could taste blood in the back of my throat.

            Jacob was at work—he had begun volunteering as a fireman, recently, in his spare time—and he had gone there this morning, when they called him in for an emergency fire a couple hours from here.

            Glad he wasn’t around so I could scream, I let out a horror movie make-your-ears-bleed scream, holding my stomach tightly, waiting for it to pass. This sensation had happened several times in the past two days, making me especially worried about both mine and the little secret in my stomach’s health.

            Gasping for a breath, I gripped the edge of the bathroom counter, struggling to stand up. The pain was more painful than anything I’d experienced before—yeah, I’m talking, worse than vampires throwing you around and shit. This was bad. This was from the inside. And, something was terribly wrong.

            Still clutching my stomach, I attempted to stand straight so I could reach an equilibrium and stand without having to have a hand on the counter; as I did, there was a loud ka-thunk in my stomach.

            “Uh-oh,” I blurted as I dove for the toilet, managing to reach it before my breakfast and dinner from last night resurfaced into the toilet bowl. After I practically vomited my guts into the toilet, I laid down on the ground, exhausted; then, another spasm of pain ran through my stomach, making me scream in shock.

            Knowing I had to do something, I crawled out of the bathroom—after flushing the toilet—and snatched the phone, trying to keep my breath even enough to speak. I dialed in the numbers, wishing life would just hurry up for a moment.

            “Hello?”

            “Carlisle!” I spat. “I need to see you—” Another wave of nausea rolled over me, along with a slap of pain. “Now. Please!” My words choked off with a roll of nausea, and I grabbed a flower pot, vomiting noisily.

            Carlisle’s voice was calm. “Edward is on his way. I will prepare my office.”

            As I puked, I hung up the phone, tossing it onto the nearby couch; in a matter of minutes, the door swung open, a familiar pale man glancing around before walking towards me.

            Edward’s velvety voice tried to calm me. “Summer, just try and relax—I’m going to lift you up, now…” His cool hands grabbed hold of my waist, and he carried me easily to his silver Volvo, setting me gently inside.

            I liked that I didn’t need to speak to him—he could easily read my thoughts.

            You didn’t call Jacob, did you?!