But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 14

Me and the wolf pack were in Port Angeles—I’d managed to tear them all away from the television, and asked them to accompany me downtown, so  I could shop a little bit in the bookstore, and maybe buy a new sweater.

            I strode to the door of the female clothes store, not glancing back, until I heard a series of groans and moans.

            “Really?” Jake groaned after I flashed a couple looks of confusion towards him and the others. “You’re dragging us into a…girl store?”

            Quil snorted. “Next, what? A tampon store?”

            I tried to hide my amused smile. “Aw, come on, guys! It’s only for a few minutes.” I paused, my gaze flickering back to Quil. “And, Quil, there’s not a whole store for just tampons.”

            “Whatever.” Quil made a face. “How about we meet up later?”

            I shrugged. “Yeah, sure—you guys go get lunch, and I’ll be there in about an hour.”

            The boys—Jacob, Seth, Quil, Embry, Paul and Jared—all shuffled off, taking about stupid things, occasionally punching each other’s arms and laughing. Once they turned the corner, I opened the door to the store and hopped in.

            The selection in the store was pretty terrible, but I managed to spend a good thirty minutes in there; once I was done, I walked over to the bookstore, buying three books—one on the illuminati, the second cooking for dummies, and the third how to knit hats. By the time I got out of the bookstore, it was just getting dark out; the sun was setting on the coastline, by the pier.

            I sighed, glancing both ways, unsure which way the restaurant the boys and I had planned on going to was; I decided on going left, towards main street, hoping the restaurant was located there. I took a left, slowly making my way down the side walk, frantically looking for the diner.

            “A girl like you shouldn’t be out this late, alone.” A man’s voice called to me, from across the street. He was leaning on a beat up car, his arms crossed; his eyes raked over my body.

            I blinked a couple times, freezing. “A girl like me?”

            “A pretty girl, like you.”

            I nodded once, trying to be polite, and began to walk a little bit quicker away from the man. I glanced to the ground on the left, trying to see the car in my peripheral vision; the man was no longer leaning against it.

            His footsteps came from behind me. “Where you goin’, sweetie?”

            I ignored him, quickening my pace.

            “Come hang out with me, sexy. I’m worth your time.”

            Then, I snapped; I spun around, surprised at how close he was behind me. “Look, buddy—I’m not interested. Back off.”

            He stepped towards me, only about two metres away. “You’re a feisty one, aren’t you? I like that.”

            I stumbled backwards, hitting the side of a building. “I’m flattered, but not interested.”

            The man flashed me a creepy smile, and stepped towards me, backing me into the building. “You’re hot.”

            A look of disgust flashed onto my face. “Get away from me, creep!”