But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 17

JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW:

            We were in the garage, drinking warm soda’s from the garbage bag under the old countertops—just like old times.

            “Tomorrow’s the big day, huh?” I looked over at Bella, who instantly looked stricken with fear.

            She swallowed. “Um, yeah. Big. Day.

            I grinned a little at her uneasiness. “Don’t worry, Bells.”

            Bella blinked a couple times, a slight frown set in her features. “I’m not worried. Just…” she trailed off, and shrugged.

            I wrapped an arm around her, hugging her tightly. “Weddings are supposed to be enjoyable.” I reminded her.

            A small smile lit up her face. “Yeah, I guess. It’s just—I’m not big on weddings.”

            I took a sip from the soda. “Edward is?”

            She bit her lip. “Apparently. He was raised to believe marriage was ‘correct’.”

            “Ah.” I nodded, understanding. “But, you’re okay with it? He didn’t pressure you into it, or anything, did he?” I frowned, a little protective of my best friend.

            Bella grinned up at me. “Don’t worry, Jake—I okayed this. If he wants to get married, we’ll get married. Even if I am a little young.”

            I shook my head. “Eighteen’s not too young.”

            Bella’s eyebrows raised. “Oh? And what makes you say that? Thinking of proposing to someone anytime soon?”

            I narrowed my eyes. “Maybe.”

            “Seriously? That’s great, Jake!”

            I snorted. “Don’t get your hopes up. I still gotta figure Summer out—she’s kind of confusing.”

            “Don’t have to worry about that,” Bella smirked, “She’s crazy about you.”

            “You would know, right?” I said, my voice dripping in sarcasm.

            A sly smile appeared on Bella’s lips. “I notice things. I also spent a few hours with her last year—you know, when we almost died—and picked up a few habits of hers.”

            “Habits?”

            Bella shrugged. “She gets nervous without you around.”

            For some reason, I liked the idea of that—Summer not feeling safe without me around to protect her, to keep her safe. I felt a bit more…needed.

            “That was last year, Bells. Things changed—remember?”

            Bella shook her head. “Jake, she’s still crazy about you. Whenever I see her, her eyes never leave you.”

            I tried to suppress a smile, but couldn’t. “Hm. So, what’re you saying? I should go ahead and buy a ring?” I snorted.

            Bella shrugged. “Maybe. I dunno—depends if you want to. But I guarantee you, Summer would say yes.”

            I smiled down at her, silent for a moment. “I missed having you around, Bells.”

            Bella tapped her can of pop against mine. “Me too. It’s nice being here—kinda reminds me of before.” She smirked, and her face twisted up into an odd expression.