But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 4

JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW:

            Things had changed entirely—not for the worst, exactly, but not entirely for the better.

            “Leona.”

            My face twisted up. “Veto.” I paused, tapping my chin. “Betty.”

            “Ew—grandma name.”

            “I was thinking more ‘Archie Comics’.”

            “Whatever. Veto. How about Aqua?”

            I snort. “What, is she gonna be Titan’s next daughter? Nah. I don’t want her to sound fishy.”

            Summer punched me in the shoulder. “Asshole!”

            I shrugged, rolling my eyes. “How about Rose?”

            “Meh. It’s nice—not the one—but it’s on the list.” She scribbled down Rose on her piece of paper, then smiled up at me. “This is exciting, y’know.”

            I sighed. “Yeah—except girl names are a lot easier than boy names.”

            “Don’t worry—boys are next.”

            “Lafonda?”

            “No!”

            I didn’t argue. “Lisa?”

            “Reminds me of the Simpsons.”

            I snorted. “Marge! Maggie!”

            “Idiot.”

            “Millhouse?”

            “Be serious, Jake.” Summer’s eyes rolled, but I could see her try and hold back a smile.

            I stuffed my face in a pillow. “You’re not going to be happy with just any name, you little perfectionist.”

            “That’s why we’re choosing now, silly!” She patted my head. “Before I poop this baby out.”

            Then, I was thrown into a deep thoughts; I murmered it aloud. “Do you ever wonder if its gonna be a boy or a girl?”

            Summer fell silent; her lips were flat, but turned upward at the corners. “Yeah…” she trailed off, then piped up again. “Do you want one over the other?”

            I frowned. “No!” But I was sure the lie was obvious on my face.

            Summer snorted. “Liar.”

            Shaking my head, I muttered, “It’s not like that—I just imagine a little boy. But if you had a girl, I wouldn’t be sad or anything.”

            We were sitting on the couch; Summer’s legs were curled up beneath her like a pretzel, and her back was leaning against the arm rest. I was on the opposite side, laying down, my legs strewn across Summer’s lap; she was rubbing my ankle as she was deep in thought.

            Summer was quiet for a long time, then she quietly muttered, “You’re legs are super hairy.” She paused. “It’s the only thing that gives you away as a werewolf.”