But Things [A Jacob Black Sequel] Are Gonna Change: Chapter 5

SUMMER’S POINT OF VIEW:

                   I knew I was dreaming, and I knew it was a nightmare. I knew it wasn’t real—but it still scared me more than anything.

                   I could see the baby, sitting before me, it’s beauty obvious; it was a little girl. She had long brown hair, a couple shades lighter than Jacob’s. Her eyes were a beautiful brown, identical to Jacob’s, and her pink lips were turned up in a playful grin. The girl’s hair was long, down to her hips; it was wavy, like she’d just been at the beach. Just looking at her made my heart stop entirely; she was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. More beautiful than all the vampires in the world. She was like an angel.

                   We weren’t indoors; we were in a clearing in a field of flowers. It sloped down, becoming a steep hill; the little girl was sitting on the top of the hill, and I was steps away from her. She was donning a pink dress.

                   She looked old. Too old. She was still young, but not a baby; she was like a toddler. No, older. She was a young child. But there was no way that this girl wasn’t my child; this was the baby I’d given birth to yesterday. She was absolutely perfect, everything I wanted.

                   The girl’s lips spread apart, and she spoke; her finger pointed to the sky above her, her dark eyes glimmering. “Look, mommy!” She said in the most beautiful voice I’d ever heard in my life. “Look at the sky!”

                   I glanced up, following her finger; the sky was a dark blue, nearly black, other than the bright shimmers of green and blue dancing along with the stars. It was amazing; I slid my hand into the cool grass as I watched, mesmerized by the beauty of the moment.

                   “What are those called?” She asked, not tearing her eyes away from the northern lights.

                   I looked at the little girl in front of me, knowing she was everything I wanted, everything I needed; and right then, I knew exactly what her name was. All those moments wasted with Jacob thinking up names had been useless; now, it hit me like a bullet. How could I not have realized this was her name before? It seemed so obvious, now.

                   “Aurora.” I whispered; I felt so happy I thought my heart was going to swell and burst.

                   Aurora giggled, her brown eyes landing on me; her small white teeth shimmered off the light of the stars.

                   I reached a hand out, wanting to touch her. “I love you.” I murmered, knowing it was true.

                   But something happened. The closer I got to her, the further away she seemed; she began to waste away, like she was a sketch being erased in a book. Her body was like ink, splashing away, wiping away until she was nothing.

                   “No!” I hissed, immediately taking my hand back to my side, hoping it would undo the horrible effect on the beautiful girl before me; but I was wrong. Her body continued to contour strangely, and then she was suddenly not there anymore. The whole scene wiped away, too; then, after a quick moment, the perfect moment I’d been living was over. I was alone in absolute nothingness.