t h r e e

I slowly open my eyes to the sunlight shining through the small window onto my face. The sounds of clunking wooden weapons are reaching my ears and the smell of burning charcoal is in my nose. After a moment of lying there, listening, my eyes widen and my mouth falls open slightly.

I overslept!

I quickly jump up, fling on my armor and my black cloak. I pull up my hood and leave the room, through the back section of the hideout and into the main room.

I should check on Myst and Ralf.

I peek out of the side door and look out back. I see our cooker out there, billowing smoke and near it is Boyd and Oscar, practicing with wooden lances and axes. I step outside and start to approach them.

"Good morning, sleepy head!" Boyd says, glancing my way before getting smacked in the side with Oscar's wooden lance. A Boyd-like grunt escapes his lips.

"End! You need more practice, Boyd! Distracted by the lady, eh?" Oscar chuckles.

"Start again! I won't stop until I win!" Boyd swings his wooden axe towards Oscar, but he blocks it.

Oscar's grin widens, "We're going to be here for a while!" Another Boyd-like grunt fills the air as he swings his axe once more.

I chuckle, "Do you know where Myst and Ralf are?" Oscar and Boyd takes another swing each at each other, then turns to face me.

"Yes, they are playing right over there, in the other clearing through those trees. Titania should be over there with them,"

Ah, that is good. I assume Ike is training with Papa. I will join Oscar and Boyd then.

Before I am able to open my mouth to ask, Oscar asks, "You should join us in our training, Star. This will be your first one with us!" I smile and place a hand on my hip as my smile widens, "Gladly,"

Oscar turns to pick up a wooden sword sitting behind him. Then he turns to me and hands it to me, with his warm smile, "Here. You are not a class who uses swords, but you do wield Falchion, so you can join us!"

I casually take the blade. I ignore the sinking feeling in my gut that reminds me what it is like to wield a sword without my magic in control and I clear my mind of those emotions. Oscar's smile is inviting. The blade in my hand is much lighter than I was used to.

"You mean I have to spar, with a girl?" I roll my eyes at Boyd.

"Shut up and bring it on, dingus!"

"Dingus? What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Oscar chuckles, "Don't throw curve balls at me! I will throw them back!" Boyd says, standing up straight and facing me. He is resting his axe on his shoulder, blade pointing up and his other hand resting on his side. He removes it from his shoulder and stands in his ready stance. I do the same, lifting the wooden blade in front of me in my left hand.