t w e l v e

I am alone in the bedroom, sitting on the bed and staring down at the floor at nothing. I could not stop myself from shaking in worry and I could see my hands shaking when I look down at them. My mind is racing ninety miles a minute with all of the worst scenarios possible that I could think of. I feel sweat begin to fall down the sides of my face.

I do not feel comfortable anymore. What are those boys planning? Why are they here? What is their purpose?

I feel the urge to lift my eyes up and gaze at my youngest son who is sleeping peacefully next to me on the bed, wrapped up in his blanket. I hold back the urge I have now to drop tears. I feel the slightest bit of anger surge inside of me and I narrow my eyes. I force myself to look back at the floor by my feet so I do not glare at my sleeping son.

Those boys better not—

"Star? Are you alright?"

I jerk my head up and see Ike hurry up to me with a slight worried look on his face. He kneels down in front of me and grasps my hands with his, forcing them to stop clenching the sides of the bed.

"What is wrong? Tell me right now!"

I hear the worry drip from his voice now as he drills his gaze into mine. He looks at me, not understanding why I look so upset as I continue to glare into his gaze, not angry at him at all. I start to squeeze his hands now instead of the bed, letting my anger flow right out of me. He does not stop me and continues to stare back into my eyes as they angrily drill into his.

I lower my eyes slightly, and I stop squeezing his hands before speaking. I feel a sudden wave of sadness and I see worry flood his eyes from the corner of my vision, "Those boys..."

"Star, I thought we—"

I look back up at him quickly, anger flashing in them again and a tear falls, defeating me in holding them back, "Ike, I constantly fight away horrible feelings about them! I—I don't know what or why, okay?" I squeeze his hands again, constantly unclenching and clenching mine in his, "I get these... overwhelming feelings of dread... telling me to watch myself,"

Ike searches my face, "I will protect you, Star. You do not have to worry about this anymore. I have never seen you this flustered about something before. Why are you letting them do this to you?"

Another tear falls down my other cheek, "I don't know, Ike! I feel like they are waiting for the right moment, the moment of my weakness! I just know it!"

Ike's eyes widen, "The right moment for what?"

I suddenly stop squeezing his hands in mine, my mouth opens marginally and my eyes snap to the side looking away from him, "Wait, I just figured out something,"