e i g h t e e n

I clench my fists at my sides furiously as I study my dark tomes hovering around me

I clench my fists at my sides furiously as I study my dark tomes hovering around me. I dart my eyes between both tomes and flip the pages quickly.

How did he do it?

I reach the final page in one of the tomes and I quickly snap it closed with a simple thought then it drops to the floor violently. I close my eyes for a moment, clenching my fists once again and anger fills me up more and more as the tomes pile up.

How did he do that?

Merric is rummaging around in my bookshelves across the room. He finds another dark tome and swiftly brings it to me. He watches me nervously, like I am a volcano threatening to blow, or a thunderhead threatening to strike.

My eyes snap back up to the other tome in front of my face and I skim the words as Merric reaches me with the tome that he found, "Here, mama," he says and he nervously holds the tome up for me to take. Instead of me taking it with my hands, I cross them over my chest angrily and take the tome with a dark spell, flinging it up in front of my face with the other while they are encompassed with dark magic. Merric watches the tome fly up here then quickly turns away and runs back over to the bookshelf.

I forcefully open the tome while keeping my eyes on the other one, reading through the spells listed on the old pages.

Flux, Nosferatu, Ruin, Waste, Eclipse, Goetia... No, no, no! None of these! None of these can do that! How? How?

I dart my eyes over to the tome Merric just brought me and begin to skim over the words. I turn several pages and skim through several spells. As my eyes gloss over a specific term, I stop for a moment and widen my eyes slightly.

"Mire..." I whisper breathlessly to just myself. Sounds of Merric continuously rummaging through my bookshelves fill the room as I stare at this word on the page in the tome.

A powerful spell with dangerous and terrible consequences. Is this the spell he learned and casted? On himself? What are the consequences?

I cannot get myself to read the spell description. I just keep staring at the word.

Mire.

Why is that term so familiar to me? Is it something my mother mentioned to me before?

Wait-

My eyes widen more and a small gasp escapes my lips. The second tome I am holding in the air before me slams closed and falls to the floor forcefully. I see Merric jump from the corner of my eye and he is staring at me worriedly, "Mama?"

My eyes dart up to him and the room around me fades into my conscious. I realize my dark magic that is holding the tome up before me is surrounding me entirely now and my hands are clenching at my sides. Without me realizing. My emotions are flowing freely. So my magic is starting to flow freely as well.