Chapter 44

Ashley's P.O.V.

I woke up with Michael's arms wrapped around me, shifting a little bit. I climbed out of his arms, standing up. How long were we asleep? I looked at the clock and we had been sleeping for 3 hours.

I went to the bathroom to check my hair, when something caught my eye. I spun around and looked at it, surprised to see a bra laying on the floor near the shower. Something unfamiliar boiled inside of me, and I gritted my teeth, lifting it up.

"Hey, I-" Michael began to say, stopping at the door. He looked at the bra, then back to me, then back to the bra. "Um..."

"Were you sleeping around after we broke up?" I asked.

"A little.." He said.

"How long after we broke up?"

He hesitated, biting down on his lip.

"A few days" he mumbled. I inhaled and exhaled.

A few days.

"Let me get this straight..I was broken after we were done with, and I wouldn't leave my room. You, on the other hand, went sleeping around with different girls."

"No, I swear, it wasn't like that" he said. "I just..I was broken too. I didn't know what to do, I thought I would forget about you if I started sleeping with different girls.." He trailed off.

"Whatever" I said, walking past him.

"It didn't work" he added. I turned around.

"If it didn't work, you would've come back to me" I snapped.

"It's just that-"

"It's just what? You were too 'busy'?"

"No...I mean, it wasn't like th-"

"Yes it was, Michael" I said.

"I w-"

"It really doesn't surprise me honestly-"

"Would you let me talk for fuck sake?" Michael yelled, putting his hands to his head. I huffed and sat down on his bed.

"The reason I didn't really try with us is because I thought it would be for the best, and I know it was a mistake..." He walked towards me and grabbed my hand. "You know those girls mean nothing to me. You're the only one I want."

"Well it seems like I've been the 'only one you want' too many times..." I replied. He sighed.

"We can work it out this time around. I know we can."

"No Michael, it isn't that easy" I replied. "I know we're adults now and we're mature, but that isn't gonna change the fact that you sleep around while I look for a serious relationship" I said.

"I don't sleep around" Michael said through gritted teeth.

"This bra sure as hell looks like proof" I replied, holding it up. "Maybe I should just leave."

"No, don't go" he said. "Where would you stay?"

"I'll find a place" I replied.

I began to walk out, but stopped.

"Oh, and take this" I said in disgust, holding it out.

"Ashley" Michael said.

"What?"

He walked up to me and took the bra out of my hand, throwing it behind him. He backed me up against the wall and pressed his lips against mine, causing my heart to pound fast against my chest. I ran my fingers through his hair. He wrapped his arms around my waist when we pulled apart and my arms found their way around his neck. I held onto him for what seems like forever.

"Are you still gonna go?" He asked.

"I-I don't..I mean...yes" I replied, a shocked look coming onto his face.

"But..but..." He stuttered.

"I'm sorry Michael" I said, choking back tears. "We just can't keep doing this. You can't just kiss me and think it makes the whole situation okay."

"I need you" he said. "I can't live without you."

That's when the tears began to spill out.

"You're gonna have to find a way" I replied, turning the door knob and beginning to walk out.

Michael grabbed my hand.

"I'm not letting you leave" he said.

"Yes, you are" I replied.

"No, I just can't."

Rain began to fall roughly out of the sky.

"Michael, y-"

"Listen" he said. "I'm stupid. I'm gonna make mistakes, and I sure as hell have made many over these past years. I play with a girl's heart, and I make her believe all these untrue things. But with you..it's just different. You understand me, and you always accept the mistakes I make. You know I have flaws, and you stay with me all the same. We left each other five years ago, and it was the worst years of my life. Not being able to breathe is better than being without you. All I'm trying to say is, I know I'm not perfect..but I know I'm perfect for you."

I didn't really know what to say. I felt like my heart was basically in Michael's hand.

I blinked a few times and watched as he wiped his eyes, trying to hide that he let a few tears slide. The rain beat down on us.

"Michael" I whispered.

"What?" He replied.

I softly pressed my lips against his, mumbling, "I just need to think."