Kibbles Chapter 2

v102.1: That Afternoon

Nini woke up to voices. She could feel the blanket and the cool of the steel bed under it. Where am I, she wondered, trying to recall how she got there in the first place. Oh, yes, Dr. Yan's office. She looked around, and saw her lady, Nico, and another young man in a white coat -- the doctor --all three standing up, talking in low tones.

She saw her lady's face pass from worry to a tincture of fear. Nico, whose back was turned to her, was constantly trying to relax his shoulders. The good doctor, she noticed, kept his face calm. He was doing most of the talking, judging from the voices she heard.

Nini strained her ears to listen, but only grasped a few lines of their conversation.

"So what will we do now?"

"Maine, Nico, would you like Nini to continue with it?"

Then she heard her lady, saying, "But there's a way to save all of them, right?"

Them?

Nini's ears picked up that word so sharply. Who's them?

The doctor, then spoke. "I'm not saying that we can't. I'm just saying that there's a twenty percent possibility that we can't. That's why we scheduled spaying her today. But, well, what do you know -- Nini gave us a happy surprise today, and, unfortunately, a not-so-happy situation at the same time."

Nico's voice, then, cut through the silence. "But her heart, doctor, you said before --"

Nini saw Dr. Yan put a hand on Nico's tense shoulders. "I know. We'll do all we can to box in any issues with Nini's valves when we bring them out. But then --"
Nini stopped listening, as she felt a suddenly tired. She just wanted to go home. Was Dr. Yan finished with... what was it called again? Spaying?

A while later, she saw her lady and Nico approach her. Her lady knelt down by the bed and nuzzled her face gently against the cream fur. With a slight choke in her voice, her lady said,
"My baby girl's going to be a mum."

*bark*

v102.2: The Boys' Late Night Huddle

Philip was drinking his water by the porch. With him were Globie and Globie's master, Richard Sr., who said that Mr. Richard requested them to stay up and wait for him tonight. So, the three of them were hanging out, enjoying the evening breeze.

"He's late, as usual," Philip said. "Where is the world did he run off to, this time, Mr. Globie?"

The husky yawned. "Not sure. I heard he's doing another thing for -- what do these humans call it – oh, yes, a movie. He was carrying whips, handcuffs, fake swords, and a lot of duct tape this morning. Props for the movie, I guess. Anyway, he did ask the master to stay up and wait, and for us to keep him company. Just sit tight, okay?"

"I wonder why he wants us to wait," said Philip, using his paw to rub his sleepy eyes. "I hope he brings beer this time. He always brings us apple juice. Where's the fun in that?"

A few minutes later, they heard the sound of a car parking by the driveway. Philip recognised the sound as his master's car. He rolled his eyes. "Finally," he muttered. "Well, Mr. Globie, since it will be only us four boys here, time to bring out dirty jokes (to which Globie raised his eyebrows very high). Or maybe this is probably the right time you spill the beans on your latest hot date -- you know, Tellulah, the Great Dane in the next block."

Globie looked at Philip sharply. "Young man! Watch your tongue! That's supposed to be a secret! Were you following us yesterday?"

Philip was about to answer Globie when his master, Mr. Richard, came in and joined them on the porch. Philip saw him carrying a bottle he's never seen before, plus two glasses and two bowls, which was good news to Philip.

For the love of God, let it not be apple juice, he pleaded silently.

Philip saw Mr. Richard giving his father, Richard Sr., one glass, and putting the bowls before him and Globie. Then, Mr. Richard poured out the contents from the bottle he was holding, first to his father's glass, then a little bit to the bowls, and last of all, to his own glass.

"Thanks for waiting up," Mr. Richard said. "Well boys, drink up your sake. We're celebrating today! Dad, I have an announcement to make."
Richard Sr., then, raised his eyebrows. "You're not going to give me a heart attack, are you? Do I need to call the doctor for real first?"

Mr. Richard laughed out loud. "DAAAAAAD!!! It's not about me, okay? I just got off the phone with Nico awhile back and guess what -- someone's going to be a dad in a month or two!"

Philip looked sharply at Globie. "Mr. Globie! You didn't... you and Tellulah?"

Globie looked at Philip, then looked at the two men. "What? Young man, I beg your pardon! I, the perfect gentleman, don't do such things to a lovely girlie dog on a first date! Besides," he whispered to Philip. "I'm completely safe. I got snipped years ago. But don't tell that to Tellulah, all right?"

Mr. Richard cleared his throat, then looked at Philip. "Buddy, it's Nini. She's pregnant," he smiled. "I found out this afternoon. And, since our house is closer to Dr. Yan's clinic, I offered to let Nini stay here till the birth of your puppies. Isn't that something to celebrate about, huh, Philip?"

Philip stopped licking his sake.

Philip stopped breathing altogether.

"BLOODY... WHAT? WHAAAAAT??? BLOODY HELL!" He tipped the bowl over and ran off the porch in a huff, leaving Mr. Richard, Richard Sr., and Globie looking at each other, with looks of surprise and bewilderment on their faces.

Globie, then, stood up, shook his head, and ran off to look for Philip.

*bark*