Chapter Fourteen

I hop out of Derik's truck before it's even parked in Ash's driveway. I start pounding on the door and- nothing. Key! Ash gave me the extra key to his place, since his father died no one was using it, and Ash wanted me to have it, just incase.

I dig through my purse and find my keys. The bronze one is mine and the silver one is his. Quickly I unlock the door and glance back. Derik is coming with me. I push open the door and run to Ash's room.

I try to open the door, but it's locked. "Stand back," Derik says and I back up. Derik kicks down the door and fall with a bang clank!

I rush over to Ash's bed and pull back the covers. Oh. My. God. The sight of Ash makes my legs want to give out.

Ash is laying on his left side, facing me. Blood is staining his white sheets. Blood from his wrists. He has a knife in his right hand, the blade pressed against his left wrist. His face is so pale and I swear I can see where his tears have dried. A bottle of pills lays beside him.

I put my hand on Ash's neck hesitatingly and slowly. Please have a pulse. Don't leave me alone Ash. Oh no! No no no- wait- there it is. A slow steady pulse.

"Ash!" I yell and shake him. "Ash wake up!"

Slowly his eyes half open. "Oh Ash!" I take the knife out of his hand and the pills off his bed. "We need to get to the hospital. Derik call 911."

Derik nods and steps out in the hallway. I pull Ash out of bed and hold him in my arms. "Amanda..." Ash speaks dreamily. "Don't be sad... Don't make your beautiful eyes cry..."

"Ash," I whisper. "I thought I lost you. Please don't do that again. We're going to get you to the hospital and everything will be okay, okay? I love you so much Ash. I love you."

I see that his eyes are shut. Frantically I shake him again and his eyes half open. "Stay with me Ash," I whisper. "Stay with me."

Sitting here in Ash's bedroom floor, holding him in my arms, seeing him like this, I can feel something breaking inside of me. My heart.