The Death of a Dear Old Friend

Damian was sixteen when he had went to the Wayne graveyard. It hadn't been the first time he had been there and it certainly wouldn't be his last. A lot of people had gathered to morn for the loss of a great friend, father, grand father and Buttler. They all stood, heroes, friends and not many relations to honour the fellow Buttler.

Damian had known Alfred since he arrived six years ago and although they weren't close, he couldn't help but shed a few tears. Dick and Alfred had the joy of decorating for Christmas, Jason always baked cookies with him, Tim and he had spent a lot of time in the Bat cave on the computer, but he and Damian bonded over the love of his pets.

It was a cold October day and he was wrapped up in a long grey coat, with a scarf tucked in and round his neck for warmth. His fingers were laced with his girlfriend's, Iris West ll. They watched as the coffin lowered into the ground. Iris shed a few tears, as well as the rest of the Bat family. But Damian refused to cry. He would save it for when he was alone.

All of the great times spent with the Wayne guardian were so high that you couldn't count them. He knew he would miss the fresh cups of coffee at five in the morning when he couldn't sleep or when he came in from a mission badly bruised and would refuse treatment only for Alfred to make him get patched up anyway. Yes, life wasn't fair when it came to death. But then it was never fair with being alive either.

Damian didn't know Alfred for as long as Bruce, Dick, Jason or Tim but he had cared deeply for the old man. The manor would be empty. Only he and his father. Yes he was older and not a little brat anymore but that didn't mean that he and Bruce weren't still on rocky ground. Damian didn't think he would ever get along with his father. Ever.

That was until he saw the GoDDAMN! Batman crying. He let go of Iris' hand and walked over to him. There was silence as they both awkwardly stared each other down. The grown man sniffling like a baby. Damian's feet crunched on the leaves as he slowly and awkwardly hugged Bruce Wayne. Bruce was caught by surprise but hugged him back. And that's when Dick thought it'd be a good idea for a family hug and joined in. Tim and Stephanie copied and of course Cass couldn't help herself. Jason tried quickly to get away from them but Dick but his hand out and grabbed Jason back into the hug.

Maybe this dysfunctional family couldn't make it without the Wayne Buttler but maybe they could. Sure it would be lonely and it would take a long time but they had over come face stealing clowns, four dead or 'dead' Robins and a whole hell of fights.

Yeah. Maybe Damian's bat family had lost a fellow comrade but he knew that Alfred would always live in his memory and heart.