Chapter 16

As soon as the words were out of Molly's mouth, and were processed by my brain, my entire body went into overdrive. Is this going to end up bad? Will I finally see her again? At the thought of seeing Jess again, my heart started racing, and I really woke up. I could almost feel her wavy brown hair in my fingers.

Molly's words seemed to have almost the same effect on everyone else. They all looked up, with a look of alarm in their eyes. I could tell that they didn't want to be a part of this. They probably all thought that Jess was dead, and I couldn't blame them. But I was still holding on to the last shred of hope. As I once read in a book, 'hope is a dangerous thing. It's the only thing stronger than fear'.

If needed, I would tear the whole world apart if it meant that I would get to have Jess with me again.

Molly continued on, ignoring the wary looks she was receiving.

"We went to go look for Jess in North Carolina because she was born there, right?" I nodded along in agreement.

"If she is even half as crazy about you as you are about her," she said, giving me a pointed glance. "Then, assuming she's run away, she probably visited at least one of your spots. Was there anywhere that meant a lot for both you and her?"

My bed. We had killer sex that one time-

Ew. no one wants to hear about that, Drew.

There was that one spot in the forest. We were eating a picnic dinner that day, and i had finally plucked up the courage to ask her to be my girlfriend.

I remember it like it was only yesterday.

*BEGINNING OF FLASHBACK*

"-and that's why you never arm wrestle a biker," Jess concluded, as my car pulled up into her driveway. We were coming straight from school, and we were planning on hanging out for the rest of the evening. She just told me she wanted to drop off her bag inside, before we left.

"I'll only be a second," she said, getting out of the car and closing the door.

This was the first time i had even seen her house, and I was really scared. I really hoped her dad wouldn't come out of the ominous house, threatening to chop my balls off.

I sat in the car, with my leg bouncing up and down, keeping a steady gaze on the olive green door.

The door opened, and I turned the car on immediately. The sooner I get out of her, the better. However, Jess did not come walking out. Instead, a guy with a snapback hat came walking out.

He had messy light brown hair, and brown eyes. He was also wearing a tight fitting AC/DC shirt with jeans. Definitely not her father.

But who is it then? Is this her boyfriend? God, i really hope it isn't. Before my thoughts could carry me down my tornado of doom, he walked over to the car, and gestured for me to get out. I knew this was a bad idea. I should just ask her out at school. If I live to make it there.

I got out of the car shakily, and followed him as he sat down on the hood of the car. He studied my features and i studied him like a history textbook. He has Jess's nose and her chin. Maybe it's her brother. Shit. If her dad didn't beat the crap out of me, he definitely would.

After what seemed like forever, he spoke. "I'm Hunter. If you haven't guessed already, I'm Jess's older brother." He had a piercing gaze, and I quickly stopped staring at him. Instead, I dropped my gaze to my shoes. I was wearing converse, and my shoelaces were so dirty, they looked like they were grey. Not a good first impression, Drew.